Aquarium stand on top of wood on top of carpet?

Reefin Ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the second floor and I have carpet. I have a 4 foot tank with stand that I was thinking of putting on a spare piece of 3/4" oak(non plywood) to help spread the weight out. I wanted to prevent the leveling feet from digging into the flooring and possibly damaging something underneath the carpet. My question is is it possible for the wood I have it sitting on to split from the weight of the tank due to the distance between the carpet and the underneath. I mean, is the carpet going to create unleveled spots that could cause the wood on top to split. Hard to explain well what I am asking but I hope you know what I mean. It's average carpet, not super plush shag or anything but I didnt know if the carpet itself can cause the piece of oak I have to split once the tank is filled with water. Thanks

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually use plywood as it's both more structurally sound than nominal wood, it's also more resistant to warping due to moisture.

It will disperse the load quite a bit, and it will eventually sink into the carpet staying level. I would avoid putting the feet or plywood right up against the baseboard, as there is a 'tack strip' used to keep the carpet taut and that can cause an imbalance.

There is another advantage to putting plywood under the stand in that by dispersing the weight over a greater area, you are taking the load off the individual floor joists and dispersing the weight onto more joists.

OP
OP
Reefin Ryan

Reefin Ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually use plywood as it's both more structurally sound than nominal wood, it's also more resistant to warping due to moisture.

It will disperse the load quite a bit, and it will eventually sink into the carpet staying level. I would avoid putting the feet or plywood right up against the baseboard, as there is a 'tack strip' used to keep the carpet taut and that can cause an imbalance.

There is another advantage to putting plywood under the stand in that by dispersing the weight over a greater area, you are taking the load off the individual floor joists and dispersing the weight onto more joists.

I wish I could use some plywood. Waiting for cure times to properly seal it and trying to find one that is not pre-warped at my local Lowes is hard living in Tampa, Florida :(

My oak board is years old and no longer green. It's pre stained and some degree of oil based poly on it it looks like. I was planning on sealing it further with some shellac, maybe dewaxed, (fast cure time) to try to keep it from warping. I really want to use it for the purpose you mentioned, to spread out the weight on the joists more.(second floor but load bearing wall perpendicular with joists). Do you think if it's properly sealed to protect against warping it could support maybe 800 pounds or so? Or should I just scrap that idea altogether? +1 on the carpet tack strip. Going to just remove that.
IMG_0308.jpg

Last edited:

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to prevent the leveling feet from digging into the flooring and possibly damaging something underneath the carpet.

There's no need to do this to protect the floor underneath the carpet. This isn't an issue.

Wood underneath the stand may help distribute the load some, but will also trap water in the carpet and pad from your inevitable spills, and make it harder for the moisture to evaporate. I wouldn't do it.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use some plywood. Waiting for cure times to properly seal it and trying to find one that is not pre-warped at my local Lowes is hard living in Tampa, Florida :(

My oak board is years old and no longer green. It's pre stained and some degree of oil based poly on it it looks like. I was planning on sealing it further with some shellac, maybe dewaxed, (fast cure time) to try to keep it from warping. I really want to use it for the purpose you mentioned, to spread out the weight on the joists more.(second floor but load bearing wall perpendicular with joists). Do you think if it's properly sealed to protect against warping it could support maybe 800 pounds or so? Or should I just scrap that idea altogether? +1 on the carpet tack strip. Going to just remove that.
IMG_0308.jpg
What you have looks fine to me.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back