Aquarium Testing

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I made an Excel spreadsheet that acts as an aquarium testing log. In this log I have put formatting that will show when the levels of the are either high or low. The parameters for the ranges are typical for mixed tanks, however the parameters can be altered to fit your needs for your tank (SPS, LPS, Softie). There is also a dosing calculator that can be used to find out how much to of whatever you choose to dose your aquarium. More slots can be added to the dosing calculator by simply inserting a new row in-between the existing rows. There is a medications area in the dosing tab as well.
Since I can't figure out how to include the spreadsheet into the post, let me know if you would like a copy and I will be happy to send one to you for your use. If you have any specific parameters you would like for me to format into it I can do that before I send it to you.

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping so that other people can see this thread.

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm bumping this up since it has been about a month since I posted this and was wanting to know how many people have taken a look at the spreadsheet or are currently trying it out. I would love to hear if y'all have any critiques for it as I am currently attempting to make it easier for users with different tanks by creating different tabs for those reefs (softie/lps/mixed/SPS dom) so that the user doesn't have to play with and set their own zones... this of course will be based on usual/generally accepted levels for things.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture here of what youve done?

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a copy of the spreadsheet cause it is in Mircosoft Excel pm me your email address and I will send it to you... For some reason it wont let me attach the file to the post. Please keep I'm mind I have only started working on the multiple tabs for the reefs. I started with just having it for mixed thinking that the changes would be easy, however I quickly learned that most people don't know how to make excel do what I can.

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I think I found a way to share it without me having to get your emails and send it out one by one. I created a link that should allow for a Read-only file but I think you should be able to save the document and then it would allow for you to edit (i.e. delete the tabs you don't need). Please let me know if it works.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsE50fbJllIgjXFXayPSoWzJgTQF

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the dosing page work. What does the TWV stand for? I have an excel spreadsheet gotten from someone/where on the web that is basically the same for the testing. Some parts are a bit too complicated like exporting each test to a graphy--never figured out how to change but I use the basics and added pages to track livestock, a calendar for all events and chores and qt and even a journal log for adding to the tank so if I have to. Keep trying to find a fancy app but nothing seems as fast or convienenant or easy as excel.

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TWV stand for Total Water Volume (Sump + Tank) for most people it will just be the tank size but if you have a large sump (i.e. a 100gal tank and a 40gal sump) your TWV would be different. For the dosing look at your Ca/Mg/Alk or whatever you are dosing and it will tell you how many mL/Gal of that additive to add. The dosing calculator will tell you how much you need to add (per the directions) and the Doses per week section is for how many times you are supposed to does in a 7 day period. The advanced dosing takes these numbers and calculates how many mL per day you can add if you have a dosing pump.

OP
OP
vsaunders

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add (just in case) that if you need more rows for the dosing calculator (if you dose a 3 or 4 part/trace elements) what you need to do is first click on either the second or third row and make sure the entire row is highlighted. Next right-click the row number and click "insert". Then highlight one of the rows under additives (or medications) and copy it. Lastly paste the copied row into the new row and you have a new row that will have the same formatting as the original.
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (8).png

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice spreadsheet. Exactly what I was looking for. On your parameters tab what is white background indicating ? The green and yellow are common, but I put in 0.5 ppm ammonia and the cell turned white.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back