Aquariums and Vacation, 15 days

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to be gone for about 15 days at some point in the near future. In the past, I’ve had someone else with fish experience living at home full time to tend to the aquarium. This time around my cat/fish sitter with limited experience (her husband kept fish) will only be coming around once a day. Tank is 260 gallon FOWLR.

Just looking for tips/advice I can do to make their job as easy and streamlined as possible, as I likely won’t be in cell service the bulk of the time I am gone. Pretty sure I have all my bases covered, but figured I’d double check if I am missing anything.

All my lights are on timers.

ATO with 20gal reservoir, though it will have to be topped off as it only lasts about 5 days.

Heaters are on wifi controllers that send alerts to an app if it goes above/below a set threshold.

Skimmer needs to be emptied every 3-4 days, though I am contemplating unplugging it while I’m away as I don’t want to subject her to fish butter and eliminate and overflows/issues.

Won’t do water changes while away. (Last sitter I trusted with a WC accidentally did 2 with pure rodi)

Automatic feeder that won’t need to be refilled.

3x Wifi leak sensors placed around the tank and sump.

Wifi camera with a view of tank and sump.

I’ll have the frozen foods portioned out, ready to be thawed and used.

Pretty sure at this point all she’ll have to do is once a day put a sheet of sea veggies on the clip, 1-2 days frozen to the marine betta and 4-ish days feed the moray.

As mentioned, I think I have everything covered. What say you?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dial down the skimmer a lot. Instead of off. To keep aeration.

Without cell service, how’s all the wifi stuff going to help you? Otherwise, yes to all the wifi stuff and cameras.

Guessing since the ato needs to be filled you’ll have rodi water ready ahead of time?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dial down the skimmer a lot. Instead of off. To keep aeration.

Without cell service, how’s all the wifi stuff going to help you? Otherwise, yes to all the wifi stuff and cameras.

Guessing since the ato needs to be filled you’ll have rodi water ready ahead of time?
Noted on skimmer.

If past experience in the area is any indication, where I’ll be camped has service, but where I’ll be spending the bulk of my time won’t, so I can at least monitor/check recordings there. The sitter also agreed to connect her phone to the leak sensors.

Yeah. A few half-full buckets of rodi for the ato and I’ll have a water change ready just in case. Makes a nifty emergency tank too, with how large they are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back