Aquascape advice

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, brand new to the hobby and setting up my first tank, a 60 gallon cube. Thoughts on my aquascape? I like it, but I’m worried it’s not very functional for my goal of a primarily coral mixed tank. Any insight is appreciated.
image.jpg
image.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's cool, some around here don't like NSA (negative space aquascpaing) but I'm not one those haha

Yeah it may not be the BEST for overall coral placement, but with the little amount of rock you are working with it's not bad. A number of distinct shelves at various levles. . . I approve haha

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caves will your fish hide in at night when the lights are off?
There are a few caves around the big base rocks, and a small cave in one of the rocks of the arch. I’m not planning on having more than a few utility fish, so I wasn’t too concerned about it to be honest.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's cool, some around here don't like NSA (negative space aquascpaing) but I'm not one those haha

Yeah it may not be the BEST for overall coral placement, but with the little amount of rock you are working with it's not bad. A number of distinct shelves at various levles. . . I approve haha
Is it not enough rock? Should I look to add more? In terms of filtration I have more rocks in the sump, I just couldn’t figure out how to add them without it feeling cluttered.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine if the plan is 1 or a pair of fish.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it not enough rock? Should I look to add more? In terms of filtration I have more rocks in the sump, I just couldn’t figure out how to add them without it feeling cluttered.
From a filtration aspect you are probably fine, especially if you are running some type of bio media.

Think most will advise more rock as habitat for fish rather than for filtration.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself love the nsa aquascape but long term biological filtration is a concern.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself love the nsa aquascape but long term biological filtration is a concern.
I have about half’s the visible rocks worth of rock in the sump as well, and some bio bale pellets. Hearing from people though, might think about adding some more rock into the display.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about half’s the visible rocks worth of rock in the sump as well, and some bio bale pellets. Hearing from people though, might think about adding some more rock into the display.
If you decide to add more get a couple of real live ocean rock shipped wet to you. This will Jumpstart your tank with biodiversity and microfauna and give your biome a big boost.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should really be half that height. Keep in mind corals will make it higher. Right now if you place coral on the top they will be too high.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every bit helps, even if its just piled in the sump.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should really be half that height. Keep in mind corals will make it higher. Right now if you place coral on the top they will be too high.
I had thought about this, my plan was to carefully choose coral so whatever goes there wont grow too high, something nice and short or encrusting. I know its too tall, but I would love to avoid messing with it as much as possible now that its set up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about this, my plan was to carefully choose coral so whatever goes there wont grow too high, something nice and short or encrusting. I know its too tall, but I would love to avoid messing with it as much as possible now that its set up.
I have multiple corals growing tips out of the water surface so your arch is not even close to being to high. SPS need to be in the upper third of the tank. Most of mine are mounted 8 inches below the surface and grown to the top of the tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will likely be stressful for most wild fish. They need places to totally get away, escape and not be seen - feel secure. If you just want a pair of captive bred clowns, then they probably don't care. Stacked rock that allows fish to totally get away is the number one thing to lower aggression and make fish feel safe, IMO.

In general, if you can see the fish, then they likely will want someplace more secure to go when they feel threatened.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will likely be stressful for most wild fish. They need places to totally get away, escape and not be seen - feel secure. If you just want a pair of captive bred clowns, then they probably don't care. Stacked rock that allows fish to totally get away is the number one thing to lower aggression and make fish feel safe, IMO.

In general, if you can see the fish, then they likely will want someplace more secure to go when they feel threatened.
Thank you, I appreciate your input! I'm trying to consider a way to add more hiding places that fits with my aesthetic goals, in any case its still gonna be a bit before any livestock goes into the tank so I have time to figure it out. Thinking I might replace the small island with a cave-y hole-y structure I can build. Half the fun for me is the design process so I'm trying to avoid the option of just throwing a bunch more rock in the tank, but I definitely need to prioritize the needs of my animals more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back