Aquascape advice

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate your input! I'm trying to consider a way to add more hiding places that fits with my aesthetic goals, in any case its still gonna be a bit before any livestock goes into the tank so I have time to figure it out. Thinking I might replace the small island with a cave-y hole-y structure I can build. Half the fun for me is the design process so I'm trying to avoid the option of just throwing a bunch more rock in the tank, but I definitely need to prioritize the needs of my animals more.
It's good that you are taking your time and really planning it out. I'm sure there are plenty of internet aquascape pics to view to give you some ideas how to finish it off the way you want it. As others mentioned along with you, livestock choices make a difference and there is nothing wrong with making changes down the line either after you have been up and running awhile. I added more rocks after a few months of operation too as I noticed my fish needed more hiding holes.

praveen85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, brand new to the hobby and setting up my first tank, a 60 gallon cube. Thoughts on my aquascape? I like it, but I’m worried it’s not very functional for my goal of a primarily coral mixed tank. Any insight is appreciated.
image.jpg
image.jpg
It looks very good, I am building an aquascape for my 40g tank. What did u use for attaching the rocks. I am having a rough time. Thanks

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good and open spaces for water flow...some of those spaces may get smaller depending on what corals you pick....

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, brand new to the hobby and setting up my first tank, a 60 gallon cube. Thoughts on my aquascape? I like it, but I’m worried it’s not very functional for my goal of a primarily coral mixed tank. Any insight is appreciated.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have always heard general rule of thumb is a pound of rock per gallon of water. My thought is give or take but somewhere in that range works well. I like what you have, but in my opinion you will need more rock.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard general rule of thumb is a pound of rock per gallon of water. My thought is give or take but somewhere in that range works well. I like what you have, but in my opinion you will need more rock.
There is a good bit more rock down in my sump, and I didn’t update on this thread but on my build thread you can see I added two cave structures and I’m planning on adding a bit more rock as well. Thank you for your advice!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not interested in fish, and your goal is only artistic, then it is a good design.
If you change your mind later and decide that fish are fun, and interesting after all, you will be sorry not to have more hiding place for them. One of the fun thing I like about my fish is to see them going in and out of caves, kind of playing hide and seek with them. Fish are healthier and less stressed if they have a good hiding place.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
If that's your first try at aquascaping, it's WAY AHEAD of where I was.

As for a critique, I'd remove the top that completes the arch, and one piece from either the right or left (not both). It will give a more asymmetrical look and be more visual appealing. It will also open up the aquascape on the inside for some lower light corals.

But, if you like it, then go for it. You're the one who will have to look at it everyday. Take all critique from everyone online (me included) with a grain of salt, and do what you like and what looks good to you.

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not interested in fish, and your goal is only artistic, then it is a good design.
If you change your mind later and decide that fish are fun, and interesting after all, you will be sorry not to have more hiding place for them. One of the fun thing I like about my fish is to see them going in and out of caves, kind of playing hide and seek with them. Fish are healthier and less stressed if they have a good hiding place.
I’ve added more hiding place in the form of a couple of caves, and I’m considering more ways to add rock now. Ultimately it is the coral I’m interested in, as well as the lower bio load that comes with fewer fish, but I still want to provide the fish I do have with the proper habitat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back