Aquascape feedback

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, beginner here, I am setting up a tank for the first time and was wondering if I can get some feedback on what my daughter and I came up for aquascaping.

I read somewhere that a video is better than pictures so here we go:

I am wondering if it is too much rock and if the tall "mountain" of rocks on the left is too tall? The tank is cycling right now.

Thanks!!

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Howdy, and welcome to R2R by the way.

Ideally, you want what is called a Golden Ratio 5::3 for your structure. Folks tend to find that the most beautiful to look at. For your tank, that means if you think about your vertical space from top to bottom, and divide it mentally into 8 units, your high point would be 3 spaces down from the top and you low point (at the other end) would be 5 spaces down from the top. I think you could achieve that ratio by removing the top one or two rocks from your high point. I would not use those rocks in your tank. Maybe put them in the sump for filtration purposes. You are off to a great start.

cnousiadis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and looking for some feedback on my aqauscaping.i swet up a 20 gallon water box and plan to have corals and 2 clownfish in this tank. I have tried so many different variations and keep coming back to this one. Would love to hear your feedback. good or bad

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.01.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.01.02 PM.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.00.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.00.55 PM.png
    717.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 3.00.47 PM.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Z

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the replies. I appreciate it!

cnousiadis,

I think you aquascape looks cool! But from my research, you may want to reconsider the rocks being so close to the glass which would make it hard to clean it, or make it easy to bump the rocks while performing maintenance.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am a beginner also!

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great but it looks like not nearly enough rock to me. I like the structure and the open sort of valley area in the middle/right. My suggestion would be to add more rocks to the left side and create sort of a tripod with a flat rock on top to make a nice cave on the left. You have holes but no caves really. While you're at it you could move the rocks on the left back a bit, looks like there's a bunch of room back there.

and

cnousiadis, I agree with OP, it looks like the rocks are even leaning on the glass which is not ideal. you could silicone it if you have to have that look but the rock makes a pretty solid pressure point against the glass​

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help on my aquascape. Is it too simple? I plan to have a zoa garden in the middle and a mushroom rock on the right. Also have a BTA cruising around. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 96A318A1-0F4F-478C-9A8D-A6A7375FEDD7.jpeg
    96A318A1-0F4F-478C-9A8D-A6A7375FEDD7.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 75

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one avoids symmetry the tank is usually more pleasing aesthetically. Maybe raise one of the outside structures, Just a thought, but using 2 structures instead of 3 would give you more negative space which also tends to look nice.

OP
OP
Z

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies... I didn't really like the original one, took the feedback from here, and modified it to something I like much better now!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my $0.02..

Check out some of the threads in the photography section or do some research on photography in general. Aside from the added component of this being a living eco system, artistically, it is the same thing. You want things to draw your eye off-center.

Beyond that, I would say this... If you and your daughter like it, and you have provided a healthy home for your fish, then you have done it exactly right!

Cheers,
Steve

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back