Aquascape Overhaul

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of changing out my aquascape in my RSM650. Total water, including sump and fuge is about 180 gallons.
The tank is just over 2 years old. Sand bed is about 2-3 inches throughout the display and I have about 150 lbs of Caribsea Liferock in the display. Had I known then what I know now I would have done things a bit differently as it relates to scape. Basically have two islands of rocks stacked up.

So my question is this:
I am working on an NSA scape currently and am trying to decide the best way to repurpose my Caribsea Liferock to do so. I have two thoughts here. 1st, take some of the liferock out to build the 1st structure. This will still leave me with 90-100 lbs of rock in the display. 2nd I would need to cycle the new NSA for a few weeks, if for nothing else to let it cure. But also I would assume cycling it would be beneficial as well. At some point, I need to clear out one whole island to make room for the first NSA section. I plan to leave the old stacked island on the other side while i put the first NSA section in on the right side.
Then Repeat steps for the left side.

Any recommendations from those who have experience making this type change to a living mixed reef tank?

Thanks in advance

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made minor rockwork changes in my S650, but mainly additions of new rock which just gets put in place.

Maybe someone else has ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rustyreefer

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made minor rockwork changes in my S650, but mainly additions of new rock which just gets but in place.

Maybe someone else has ideas.
Well what's up Shaun. Hope you are doing well! Yeah I am a bit worried about doing this.. Mainly because of I am unsure of the sand underneath the mounds. Planning to go really slow. I have more rock than i need so going to be putting a good bit in the sump, instead of using in the NSA's, to help with bioload. Hope that monster tank is still doing well. Need to go peak in on your build thread.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what's up Shaun. Hope you are doing well! Yeah I am a bit worried about doing this.. Mainly because of I am unsure of the sand underneath the mounds. Planning to go really slow. I have more rock than i need so going to be putting a good bit in the sump, instead of using in the NSA's, to help with bioload. Hope that monster tank is still doing well. Need to go peak in on your build thread.
All good thanks and yes pop in and ‘say hello’

PS I’ve just had to google what NSA scape means! Lol

Im not sure what you would need to cycle the rock when presumably the tank and existing rocks already fully cycled, but...

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar a few months ago. 300g. I had two berms. Here’s what I did.

Identified which rocks I wanted for new berm #1 and which would go to sump. carefully removed one berm and put in brute can with water. Moved unused rocks to sump. Removed sand. Moved brute to garage. Built new structure keeping rocks wet. Put new structure in tank. Then repeat for other berm.

I started early in the morning so I could guarantee I had time to finish it all in a day. Took maybe 14hrs. I used acrylic rods and Marco cement.

I didn’t have any spike in ammonia or any noticeable die off. Fish not really stressed beyond what I’d expect from reshaping their environment.

Good luck!

OP
OP
rustyreefer

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good thanks and yes pop in and ‘say hello’

PS I’ve just had to google what NSA scape means! Lol

Im not sure what you would need to cycle the rock when presumably the tank and existing rocks already fully cycled, but...
I figured I should cycle it since I am removing so much from the tank to build the new structures. Ive build a structure already and will probably start a tank thread soon on all the updates I want to do, including converting the left side of the stand to a controller cabinet.

OP
OP
rustyreefer

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar a few months ago. 300g. I had two berms. Here’s what I did.

Identified which rocks I wanted for new berm #1 and which would go to sump. carefully removed one berm and put in brute can with water. Moved unused rocks to sump. Removed sand. Moved brute to garage. Built new structure keeping rocks wet. Put new structure in tank. Then repeat for other berm.

I started early in the morning so I could guarantee I had time to finish it all in a day. Took maybe 14hrs. I used acrylic rods and Marco cement.

I didn’t have any spike in ammonia or any noticeable die off. Fish not really stressed beyond what I’d expect from reshaping their environment.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response! this is pretty much on par with how I am thinking about it. Just not removing the sand. Will likely look to vacuum it prior to putting the new structure down though.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! this is pretty much on par with how I am thinking about it. Just not removing the sand. Will likely look to vacuum it prior to putting the new structure down though.
I meant I removed any sand that would be under the structure. I kept all the sand. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back