Aquascaping & Glue/Binders

Webbed Feet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I see a couple specific "Is this glue ok?" threads, but not a comprehensive discussion of various glues and / or binders for aquascaping or frag placements. Many answers are "I'd avoid that" out of fear versus knowledge regarding the chemistry of adhesives versus marine life and enviroment.

So I am wondering if we have any adhesive chemists that have comments about adhesives other than superglue sold at BRS? Glue sticks? Adhesives readly available at most stores or locations? Epoxies safe to use? Has anyone researched a list of safe to use adhesive products?

#reefsquad

Thank you all!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any 100% cyanoacrylate glue should be reef safe, it doesn't have to be labled "reef safe" or from BRS. combined with reef safe epoxy putty, you should be able to secure just about anything from frags to full rockscapes. I use two little fishies aquastick putty out of habit. super glue on each side of a little ball of well-kneaded epoxy putty does the trick. I like to use thick "gel" super glue for ease of use, and I've used it just fine for everything from frag mounting to frag rack construction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back