AQUASCAPING...What are the best ways to hold it together?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about trying to make some larger rock structures for my next build. Historically, my biggest problem has been finding a way to hold rocks together that would last. I've tried epoxy, but that isn't great for larger structures and eventually it seems to come apart...maybe I'm not using enough...I don't know...but it hasn't worked out well for me.

Any tips on building large structures? Alternatives to epoxy are welcome! :D If epoxy has worked for you, maybe you could tell me how you do it (because I'm obviously doing it wrong! LOL).

Thanks! :D

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should probably note that I'm thinking about doing some shelf/overhang stuff so whatever I do needs to hold up the weight of off-center/unsupported weight.

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find my pics from when I drilled holes in rocks and used acrylic rods to secure them together with some epoxy to cushion the areas where they met which worked really well for me.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using jb weld and well placed 1/2" PVC drilled into the rocks. For a large scape with large rocks I would use the PVC along with emarco cement to hold it together.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are some of the scapes I've seen that show the concepts I'm thinking about... and there's another one that I can't seem to find right now...

rock 6.jpg rock 4.jpg rock 3.jpg rock 2.jpg rock.jpg rock 5.jpg scape.jpg

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the epoxy and it's held up fine. You really do need to use a lot of it. One of the tricks I've used to join two pieces really well is to work half of it into one side really well, then half of it in the other side really well. Then you wiggle/twist back and forth when you put the two pieces together.
Here is an example of one of mine I did for my 160. This is about 70 lbs of dry rock and 3 4oz tubes of 2 part epoxy
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445367516.095676.jpg

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a combo of acrylic rods and e-marco 400 rock cement. It works really well and I have never had issues with it. It's stronger than epoxy and eventually blends in pretty well. I usually break the rock before the joint when trying to separate 2 pieces.

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top row, far right is one of my builds, used Emaco R400 with AcIryl 60 (this is what is in the the E-Marco kit, which is probably the cheapest way to get smaller quantities of the product. in most cases, no need for rods (I've gone as far as 42 inches unsupported using Emaco) - but if you do, I recommend using fiberglass over acrylic. You can see some other examples of Emaco builds on my Facebook page - J6 jestersix

You can email me with any questions at [email protected], always glad to assist...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Top row, far right is one of my builds, used Emaco R400 with AcIryl 60 (this is what is in the the E-Marco kit, which is probably the cheapest way to get smaller quantities of the product. in most cases, no need for rods (I've gone as far as 42 inches unsupported using Emaco) - but if you do, I recommend using fiberglass over acrylic. You can see some other examples of Emaco builds on my Facebook page - J6 jestersix

You can email me with any questions at [email protected], always glad to assist...

Have you shared your build here? :)

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you shared your build here? :)

Hey Rev - my old build (jestersix Seashine Plasma 150)) was here. Don't have any tanks and don't post much since I'm doing custom 'scapes as a biz and don't want to mess with forum rules. Just trying to give an assist since one of my pics popped up...

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 inch cpvc is what I used, formed pillars first and am adding more rock as I introduce new fish to fill in around the bases.

Mark426

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find epoxy eventually let's go and it's really just the rods holding it together
I have used Marco Rocks cement (hydraulic cement) on my last structures and its incredibly strong and permanent. I can lift a 2x2 rock structure with all the corals attached out of my tank with no fear of it coming apart (have done it). Its by far the best option I have found.

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aragopoxy rules!
(A made up term) :)

West System Epoxy, then mix in Aragonite sand so it barely flows. Peanut butter like.
The sand gives it bulk, plus looks totally natural. Don't skimp on it though.
Critical is to use a good quality two part liquid epoxy.
But liquid epoxy on its own is too thin, and there is not enough contact surface.

The clay based epoxy that you get in those sticks at the LFS is simply terrible,
but it does work underwater, which is why that is usually what you see for sale.

These were built with aragopoxy.

IMG_0805.JPG

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're working pure dry rock, I like a mix of CA glue and epoxy. I get thick cheap in large quantities (I use it as a finish for the pens I make), so I will use that for gluing, then gap fill with epoxy putty. And while the putty is still pliable, I shove bits of rubble into it to help hide it.

The "thick" CA doesn't work well with wet rock though. You have to use gel there, or just the epoxy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back