Aquatic contraptions: Do you have any unusual tools in or around your aquarium?

Do you have any unusual tools in or around your aquarium?

• No, I do not have any DIY reefing tools.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • Yes, I have a few common DIY reefing tools.

Votes: 112 64.0%
  • Yes, I DIY every reefing tool possible.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Some people buy every gadget and tool that is advertised for reefing, however other people look for everyday items, items that they already have, or other items that can be repurposed to use with their reef. Some fish rooms look like many of the supporting tools and containers came from a kitchen store rather than a fish store. Whether it is PVC fitting to use in your quarantine tank, kitchen strainers to use for coral dipping, something from a 3D printer, or some other more creative option, do you use any unusual tools in or around your aquarium? Please let us know and share pictures of your creative use of repurposed items in and around your tank.

Pro Tip: Whenever placing anything in your tank, it is important to know if it is reef safe. Some items are clearly metal and other less-obvious items can leach metals and other undesirable additives into your tank. Be creative while managing your risks!

Mal1124_Reef.jpeg

Photo by @Mall1124

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
made myself a drip acclimator as well as a sump "python" hose attached to a small sicce micro pump to clean out the sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me:
3 sizes of Tongs
Tukey baster
Step ladder

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the tools that I get the most use out of for my reef, which I think many people have but don't use is my Pressure washer. Filtersocks, Pumps, Frag Racks, Live Rock, Skimmer - You name it, if it needs to be cleaned a pressure washer can help make that maintenance task much more efficient and better.

Pumps sit in citric acid and then get a blast from the pressure washer and BAM - They sparkle.

All those nooks and crannies in the skimmer that you can never scrub into - - BOOM - They are clean

Frag racks covered in coraline and other living material - Whoosh - And away it goes

When I let my tank sit for 9 months unattended in the dark a brown fuzz algae covered all the rock - Pressure washer while the rock was still in place in the tank. Wet Dry Vav and the tank was up and running and getting corals added to it within a week.

After a horrible crash in March 22, we had a literal 1000 lbs of rock covered in dead and decaying tissue. At the time we were at such a loss that alot of it was pulled and left sitting in the sun for the tissue to bake onto it (zoas, corals, xenia, clavularia, gsp, mushrooms). We did a citric acid bath on the rock and the out came the pressure washer and rinsed the rock off so it looked like brand new dry rock - Rock that was over 25 years old - bright white.

Dave B

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone hose slightly bent and glued to a long stick at one end with a big syringe at the other end.

Don't need to get my hands wet when precision feeding something or blasting clean cavities or space inside corals

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the perfect dipping or acclimation bucket from IKEA, and I repurposed a mini blind rod for an upside down snail flipper
IMG_1037.jpeg

I don’t know what the IKEA thingy was originally for, it was washed up on the beach and my coworkers knew I am completely crazy when they watched me drag it home.

Blind rod is fairly self explanatory, keeps my hands out of the tank when something needs a nudge
IMG_1038.jpeg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the perfect dipping or acclimation bucket from IKEA, and I repurposed a mini blind rod for an upside down snail flipper
IMG_1037.jpeg

I don’t know what the IKEA thingy was originally for, it was washed up on the beach and my coworkers knew I am completely crazy when they watched me drag it home.

Blind rod is fairly self explanatory, keeps my hands out of the tank when something needs a nudge
IMG_1038.jpeg

Color isn't the same, but otherwise similar to these.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color isn't the same, but otherwise similar to these.

Mine had these curious holes on either end that leak water if I fill it completely. Here’s another picture of the container
image.jpg

Is it the same?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had these curious holes on either end that leak water if I fill it completely. Here’s another picture of the container
image.jpg

Is it the same?

Probably redesigned at some point.l, and you have an older variation. Possibly under a different naming scheme.

The 3D view from the link I posted doesn't appear to have slits in the bottom, but it's also a render not a true 3D view of the actual product.

Screenshot_20230628-130546.png

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not DIY per say, however, I don't hear people mention these much.

Rongeurs work good for picking off little vermetid snails, snapping sps and scraping stuff off rocks.

I also use one of those fiberglass driveway reflector poles (reflector removed) as a long stick for poking/moving small stuff.

Rongeur.jpg

330Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have a few
- Channel Lock Oil wrench for PVC fittings
- Suction cup soap tray for feeding puffer clams
- Ezpik extra long tweezers for deep tanks (mine is 44" deep)

My puffer is a picky eater. Put a soap tray up at top of tank as he often will not chase food 43 inches to the bottom of my tall tank.
He likes the tray so much he now sleeps in the tray, its his bed.

Food clips drop to bottom of tank and not so easy to reach the grabber comes in handy for that.

Oil wrench is perfect for large 1 to 2" PVC fittings.

puffer clame bed tray.png ez grabber.png oil wrench.png tank back.png

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back