Aquatic life dimmable hybrid question.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lm looking at hybrid t5/LED lighting fixtures for my 90 cube. Aquatic Life has a dimmable t5 feature that I would really like to have, but the info I’m seeing says you need a controller to use that feature...and it mentions apex, which I do not have. Is there any other type of controller that would work for this, without having to drop big $ for a fancy apex?

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the dimmable hybrid to my tank. It’s a great light.

It has a single power cord, then a separate 0-10 volt dimming cable. Any controller that supports 0-10v dimming will work but I’m not sure of any full blown controller options other with 0-10v than the Apex or GHL Profilux. I think even the Apex EL doesn’t include 0-10v ports. You’d have to get the full apex or add a Variable dimming module.

You could add a bluefish led controller for about $200 I think that will just control the lights through WiFi. They have a diy option too for $100 but I’m not sure how that works.

I know you said you like the dimmable feature, but another other option is to temporarily bypass the dimming altogether. If you just leave the dimming cable unplugged and plug the power cord in, the lights will run at 100%. Then you could put off the purchase of a dimming controller but still have the option in the future.

There are always DIY options like arduino/raspberry pi but learning how to build and program them is a hobby of its own.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the dimmable hybrid to my tank. It’s a great light.

It has a single power cord, then a separate 0-10 volt dimming cable. Any controller that supports 0-10v dimming will work but I’m not sure of any full blown controller options other with 0-10v than the Apex or GHL Profilux. I think even the Apex EL doesn’t include 0-10v ports. You’d have to get the full apex or add a Variable dimming module.

You could add a bluefish led controller for about $200 I think that will just control the lights through WiFi. They have a diy option too for $100 but I’m not sure how that works.

I know you said you like the dimmable feature, but another other option is to temporarily bypass the dimming altogether. If you just leave the dimming cable unplugged and plug the power cord in, the lights will run at 100%. Then you could put off the purchase of a dimming controller but still have the option in the future.

There are always DIY options like arduino/raspberry pi but learning how to build and program them is a hobby of its own.
Good ideas....I may go with bypassing the dimmer for now, as you said...get a controller later. Thanks for your input!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it defaults to 100% if a controller is not used dave @AquaticLifeProducts can answer this.
DIY ? You probebly can run both chanels on one dimmer. feed it with a 12v wall wart
Lots of options 0-10 controls.even remotes. Good luck
1566232121909.png
1566232498753.png

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil controller will work using the 0-10v connection. The color channel and intensity channel will control each ballast independently.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil controller will work using the 0-10v connection. The color channel and intensity channel will control each ballast independently.
Really....that’s fabulous! I already have a pair of Kessil 360s over the tank with a controller...I plan to use only one with the Aquatic life 24 inch unit. So can I use the same controller or do I need another one?

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I just did a quick test and I cannot seem to get the Kessil controller to dim the HEP ballast. I can read a voltage change on the output of the 3.5 stereo connection but no change on the ballast.

Need to do more research on why its not working for me. Could be me and not the Kessil controller too...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just performed a test. I had been reporting it worked because of second had reports. I tried with both Spectral Controller and the Spectral Controller X. I got some a effect on the bulbs but very minor as well.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I also just performed a test. I had been reporting it worked because of second had reports. I tried with both Spectral Controller and the Spectral Controller X. I got some a effect on the bulbs but very minor as well.
It looks like there is an analog 0-10V and a digital 0 -10V. Not sure what that means but I'm looking into to it to see if there is a difference and or fix.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there is an analog 0-10V and a digital 0 -10V. Not sure what that means but I'm looking into to it to see if there is a difference and or fix.
I can’t be the only one who wants this fixture, but doesn’t need a big, fat, pricy aquarium controller! ;Smuggrin

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be the only one who wants this fixture, but doesn’t need a big, fat, pricy aquarium controller! ;Smuggrin

I definitely would be interested. I like the better built quality and would love the dimmable feature with a simple add on dial switch.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am GUESSING at this.
First, There are two ways to power a 0-10v control. One is Source and the other is Sink.

I'll let Wikipedia explain:
References to sink and source current are made relative to the current switching device inside the system. In most cases, that's a simple transistor.Source current refers to the ability of the digital output port to supply current. Sink current refers to the ability of the port to receive current.Aug 30, 2011

I believe the Kessil light provides current or voltage to the controller and is then Looped back to the light.
The hep ballast receives current or voltage from an external source like an Apex or a powered dimmer as seen above.

Dave @AquaticLifeProducts On the hep ballast there should be a bunch of control wiring, are any not used? (Purple/ Grey is a common standard) I have seen a source 0-10v for dimming provided on other ballast. If so that would FEED the kessil controller 10v then the kessil would respond with the desired intensity.

This diagram shows the ballast provides the source 0-10v. In this case its a Photo cell but could be a kessil controller or
a simple Potentiometer
1566297709586.png

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a Potentiometer is considered an analog signal it will very the voltage in a fine output or reading like 5.375v
digital will provide a reading like 3, 4, 5, depending on how its configured and the hardware used in ALL cases.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I am GUESSING at this.
First, There are two ways to power a 0-10v control. One is Source and the other is Sink.

I'll let Wikipedia explain:
References to sink and source current are made relative to the current switching device inside the system. In most cases, that's a simple transistor.Source current refers to the ability of the digital output port to supply current. Sink current refers to the ability of the port to receive current.Aug 30, 2011

I believe the Kessil light provides current or voltage to the controller and is then Looped back to the light.
The hep ballast receives current or voltage from an external source like an Apex or a powered dimmer as seen above.

Dave @AquaticLifeProducts On the hep ballast there should be a bunch of control wiring, are any not used? (Purple/ Grey is a common standard) I have seen a source 0-10v for dimming provided on other ballast. If so that would FEED the kessil controller 10v then the kessil would respond with the desired intensity.

This diagram shows the ballast provides the source 0-10v. In this case its a Photo cell but could be a kessil controller or
a simple Potentiometer
1566297709586.png

Hi Siggy, you are correct, the HEP ballast does have the Violet and Grey terminals on the ballast. This is where we have the 0 - 10 V connections for the female stereo 3.5mm connector. I can measure DC voltage out of the Kessil controller. When connected it makes no changes at all to the lamps output. I seem to recall having the same situation when I tried to use a Kessil controller to control the HALO's. Let me check with someone on that point to see if they determine why it did not control them either. Thanks for the help.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new developments using kessils controller?
This ballast provides the controller with a power source (Blue) as mentioned earlier
20191003_113603.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back