Aquatic life protein skimmer

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I bought the aquatic life 115, I have read good and bad reviews, this my first tank and obvious first skimmer.
I cannot figure this thing out. It fills up the cup with in minutes to an hour depending on how I adjust it. I know that it take time to break in but does the "break in" have anything to do with the cup filling up with water? It foams, but it foams way too much. I have adjusted the actual skimmer up and down and cannot find a sweet spot, or when I do think I found one, give it twenty minutes and it's over flowing again. Any ideas would be excellent.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this skimmer so tagging along.

I believe the skimmer break in period is exactly what you are describing. How long have you had yours connected?

Maybe someone could advise how to best handle the "break in" period - do we want it to overflow a lot (would that speeden the process?) or as little as possible? Or should you be trying to constantly adjust it?

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned one for 2 years, your talking the nano model correct? If so then make sure the airhose is above water and that the small grates in the top right side are just flush with the water level. If all that is set, then its a matter of playing with the dial that they have and let it break in. Mine did take roughly a week to get just right.

And ay the end of the day of its still not to your liking, give AL a call, they're customer support is by far my favorite, and I've been a vendor for over 5 years and I love there service. Best of luck!!

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their are there grates. Do you put the bottom one flush with the water?

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their are there grates. Do you put the bottom one flush with the water?

nope, I was referring to the top grate, that should be flush with the water, so that all those grates are just under water but yet the knob that controls it is above water. Now having this rig has worked for me in the past. I'll say though compared to an eshopps or octopus, it takes some tweaking.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worldwide, do you perhaps have a picture of it in your tank so we could see the water level? Thanks

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm, now your asking it!! I might ha e a picture just going to have to give me till I get out of work and then gotta browse my old photos but ill sure try!!

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worldwide, thank you. I knew I was confused it does happen.

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't forgotten the picture, I have it on my phone and tapatalk app. Exits out everytime I go to submit the picture. But again, the skimmer would sit n the water most of the way just up until the airline was submerged and the top grate was submerged, ill try more pictures later

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered like you said. We will see how that works for a couple of days. More micro bubbles then anything as of right now. I have it turned way down

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be working great. Filled up about half way over night, which is better then over flowing. Also had some nasty yellow brownish stuff. So thanks again for the advice.

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pal, now Just monitor and make sure its not over going it and tweak that knob slowly to make adjustments and just watch to make sure but glad it works!!

Sutherncharm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is which way do you turn the knob to lower the bubbling? I think I have it figured out and the collection cup starts overflowing again. HELP!

Back