Aqueon heaters/ two heaters?

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I was running a kit heater (50w preset 78) in my 10g. Yesterday I upgraded to an adjustable 100w heater from aqueon (only thing I could find local). I set the temp to 80. The first few hours my thermometer read 79 and the heater was heating. Then the temp dropped to 78.8 and then would heat back up at 78.6. This morning I woke up and the temp was 78.4 and heats back up to 78.6. My filter is located on the short wall about 8 inches from the heater. My thermometer probe is between the two. I’m a little worried my new heater is not going to heat my tank properly and I’m not sure if this is normal or not. I still have my old heater and have considered adding it in as a second heater. Not sure what the best plan of action is here. Thanks for reading!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 watt in a 10 gallon is more than enough. You must get a temp controller (Bayite or inkbird) to keep the heater running properly.

You are worried about 10ths of a degree, I dont see the problem frankly.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted to heat the water to 80 degrees which is what the heater is set to and is not doing

Thats because the thermostat on a heater is not accurate at all enough to trust. Temp controller solves this. The temp controller uses its own temp probe and controls the heater. The thermostat on the heater is junk and should not be trusted. The controller turns on the heater on and off.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does one use a temp controller. And where can one be purchased preferably in person. Thank you for your advice.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read the instructions it comes with :) You want a Bayite off amazon. LFS may have inkbirds I suppose but I have never seen them sold in person, but I am in small town.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if my questions are dumb I am new to this lol thank you I’m going to look into getting one. Do you think my tank will be fine without while it ships? I monitor it throughout the day but while I sleep I worry.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird makes a fantastic temp controller for cheap. Its double security that your temp never rises above a certain level and has some adjustments that your heater doesn't have. Instead of clicking on off on off to maintain a temp you can give it more of a 2-3 degree range or whatever you want which will prolong the life of the heater. You can also calibrate the temp to match whatever your main thermo displays. You also get the option of adding a cooling channel either fans, or chiller.

Sorry to say but those cheapo PETCO aqueon heaters are not known for their accuracy. You likely have to fiddle with it a bit to get it in the sweat spot.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if my questions are dumb I am new to this lol thank you I’m going to look into getting one. Do you think my tank will be fine without while it ships? I monitor it throughout the day but while I sleep I worry.

No such thing as dumb question. Yes you will be fine, the controller will help you sleep, you can set audible alarms to wake you if something would happen :)

Also one more thing: will I be able to use this with my current heater?

Yes

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird makes a fantastic temp controller for cheap. Its double security that your temp never rises above a certain level and has some adjustments that your heater doesn't have. Instead of clicking on off on off to maintain a temp you can give it more of a 2-3 degree range or whatever you want which will prolong the life of the heater. You can also calibrate the temp to match whatever your main thermo displays. You also get the option of adding a cooling channel either fans, or chiller.

Sorry to say but those cheapo PETCO aqueon heaters are not known for their accuracy. You likely have to fiddle with it a bit to get it in the sweat spot.
Yeah sadly it was either that or a 200w heater from the LFS

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEs inkbirds work too but I recently switched over, the Bayite is only slightly more expensive but it is leagues better.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such thing as dumb question. Yes you will be fine, the controller will help you sleep, you can set audible alarms to wake you if something would happen :)

Yes
AHH yes the Audible alarm. I used to use this towards the top of my tank to alert me when I needed to top off. Obviously not recommended, but was convenient and loud enough to make me top off instead of pushing it off.

I have the IT-308 which is old now. The IT-306A is a little more but I think they have dual sensors and wifi capability to monitor temp which is nifty.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently looking at “bayite Temperature Controller BTC201 Pre-Wired Digital Outlet Thermostat, 2 Stage Heating and Cooling Mode, 110V - 240V 10A “ from Amazon
it’s $30 is this what I would want?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bayite Temperature Controller BTC201 Pre-Wired Digital Outlet Thermostat, 2 Stage Heating and Cooling Mode, 110V - 240V 10A

Yes, you need to silicone the probe to make it safe for saltwater. If you dont want to do this, get an inkbird with plastic probe, or buy a aquarium probe for the bayite.

OP
OP
NewNanoTank

NewNanoTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to silicone the probe to make it safe for saltwater. If you dont want to do this, get an inkbird with plastic probe, or buy a aquarium probe for the bayite.
Inkbird Digital Outlet Heat Temperature Controller with Day Night Control for Brewing Aquarium Breeding Reptiles Hatching Heat Mat Amazon product
This is the one I’m looking at now. Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated! This forum has been so much help :)

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird Digital Outlet Heat Temperature Controller with Day Night Control for Brewing Aquarium Breeding Reptiles Hatching Heat Mat Amazon product
This is the one I’m looking at now. Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated! This forum has been so much help :)

This is the one I use and it works great!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird Digital Outlet Heat Temperature Controller with Day Night Control for Brewing Aquarium Breeding Reptiles

That doesnt have an aquarium safe probe either.

You need this one. LINK

The probe has to be plastic or covered in silicone. Stainless steel is not free from rust. Probably wont be a problem but it is a potential source of heavy metal contaminants down the road.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 147 40.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 185 50.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.8%
Back