Are 2x Red Sea 50 LED enough for 3ft tank?

nextfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers!

I am getting a 3ft (90cm) tank end of the month. I have been really thinking about the lighting and I definitely need help to make the right choice. I would like to explain my idea with the reef so that I can provide as much detail as possible.

Reef Type: Mixed Reef (Mostly LPS)
Tank Size: 3ft (90 cm)
Volume: 90 Gallons (About 409 Liters)
I found a scape online; it is attached in the post.

Been looking at Red Sea 50 leds, I was thinking of installing two Red Sea 50 leds and the reason is I can afford them easily. In future if I ever want to add a third one, it won't be a big investment overall and I can always mount them according to my needs.

I would appreciate if you shed some light on my setup, pretty excited to share as soon as I have it ready to go!

Thank you!

SaltWaterScape_001.jpg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule a 50 watt LED pendent regardless of the brand will light an 18in cube for a mixed tank. So if your tank is 36x18x18 the 2 RedSea 50 watt LEDs will be great for a mixed tank. For an SPS dominant tank you will almost certainly want more light. If your tank is greater than 18in front to back or more than 18in tall then I would personally look at other options for a mixed reef.

Do you know the exact tank dimensions?

freepizza80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like any other reef addict, you probably will want to keep Acro eventually. Might as well plan for it now and get appropriate lighs. Will save you money in the long run.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers!

I am getting a 3ft (90cm) tank end of the month. I have been really thinking about the lighting and I definitely need help to make the right choice. I would like to explain my idea with the reef so that I can provide as much detail as possible.

Reef Type: Mixed Reef (Mostly LPS)
Tank Size: 3ft (90 cm)
Volume: 90 Gallons (About 409 Liters)
I found a scape online; it is attached in the post.

Been looking at Red Sea 50 leds, I was thinking of installing two Red Sea 50 leds and the reason is I can afford them easily. In future if I ever want to add a third one, it won't be a big investment overall and I can always mount them according to my needs.

I would appreciate if you shed some light on my setup, pretty excited to share as soon as I have it ready to go!

Thank you!

SaltWaterScape_001.jpg
Yes. Two ReefLED 50s will work beautifully over that size aquarium. They're ideal for a mixed LPS dominant reef.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also bunch SPS in the higher PAR zones...
Tanks likely around 36*24*24.
Red seas are like 80% "blue", 20% white.

2 may work, 3 is probably better.

Popbloom makes a red sea clone.
Slightly different spectrum, slightly more power, slightly cheaper.

Actually those are 85-ish watts each.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could also go with the Reef 90s as well. Not much more money and it would give you some flexibility. LPS doesn't need that much PAR so you could get away with the 50s, 90s give more wiggle room.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nextfishtank

nextfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys

Happy New Year to everyone! I have been a little away and I am very thankful for your feedback. I finally got my 3ft saltwater aquarium, it is on cycling at the moment and have ordered 2 Red Sea Reef LED 50s.

Super exciting and will definitely be sharing my journey with other fellow reefers!

Thanks a ton!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back