are all brutes created equal

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a Brute for water storage. Shopping at Lowes, are all Brutes safe to use

thanks

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grey and red and both are perfect. Wheels are so handy but only if you have hard floors. I ruined our carpets at home dragging 100L of water around. Carpet lost all tension.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant by the wheels is dont buy the ones that have wheels built in the can its self. Buy the cans that you can add the wheels to it.

OP
OP
J

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, how did you prep / clean the brute? Does everyone do a vinegar soak, and for how long

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got mine, I used vinegar to clean the can, and rinsed with RODI. Using 1 for a RODI storage unit, 2 were used for water changes, and I have one curing rocks.

OP
OP
J

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wipe it down with the vinegar or find a way to soak it for a set amount of time

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wiped mine down with vinegar and water at a 10 water to 1 vinegar ratio. After every water change I rinse with a garden hose and air dry.

BTW no one mentioned the lid, make sure you get one that fits the can you buy. At my Lowe's they had two different size cans next to each other. 33 and 44 gal, we grabbed the wrong lid.. you would think you would see the difference but we just were not paying attention.

Also as mentioned, the wheel set don’t forget to buy it too.

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brutes are foodsafe and relative cheap. You can chance it with others but it its known brutes are made so nothing will leach into the water, hence being foodsafe. On the other end of that spectrum it is costly to get the foodsafe certification so others might be good too just without the seal of approval from FDA.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Brut cans for years with no issues for RODI and Salt Water Storage... They are awesome!

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Brut cans for years with no issues for RODI and Salt Water Storage... They are awesome!
don't mean to steal the thread but have you ever noticed a sharp smell coming out of the container when you add RODI, and then especially salt? Im smelling something musky, almost like a body odor. have washed it with soap and tap water many times. keeps on coming back. thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't mean to steal the thread but have you ever noticed a sharp smell coming out of the container when you add RODI, and then especially salt? Im smelling something musky, almost like a body odor. have washed it with soap and tap water many times. keeps on coming back. thanks
Use vinegar if you must. No soap.

But yes to the musky smell, and there is a slight bacteria film that I sometimes feel. Circulation helps. I have a large Mag pump in there.

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use vinegar if you must. No soap.

But yes to the musky smell, and there is a slight bacteria film that I sometimes feel. Circulation helps. I have a large Mag pump in there.
Thanks. do you think it is OK to still use the water if that smell is present? I usually make up a lot of water and mix the salt. use 10 gallons at a time but want to keep the rest for another water change.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. do you think it is OK to still use the water if that smell is present? I usually make up a lot of water and mix the salt. use 10 gallons at a time but want to keep the rest for another water change.
Yes it has worked for me for many years. Not even sure I smell it anymore honestly. But I know the smell.

How long the mixed water stays "good" seems to vary by salt brand. I use IO reef crystals and it is good for 3-4 weeks easily. In a sealed bucket, even longer. Red Sea recommends using it within days which seems absurd. Others vary. There is a BRS video on the subject you can check out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back