Are anemones hard to keep?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing some nice looking bubble tip’s at my LFS, which are reasonably priced.

—-

I also saw an AMAZING rainbow anemone for only $80. It was a pretty small frag, but it was pretty dang beautiful.
BTA are hardy in the right system. They require a mature tank. 6 months at minimum but closer to a year old is best. They need strong light and stable parameters. Check the livestock forum on here before buying anything from the LFS. Here's my rainbow that I only paid $80 for from a local reefer.

Attachments

• 20210410_152320.jpg
    20210410_152320.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 16212918229434326958181531853700.jpg
    16212918229434326958181531853700.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 68

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing some nice looking bubble tip’s at my LFS, which are reasonably priced.

—-

I also saw an AMAZING rainbow anemone for only $80. It was a pretty small frag, but it was pretty dang beautiful.

It depends on the type of anemone. I have kept many species and I find Carpet and Mag anemones to be the most difficult. I consider anemones advanced, but BTA are the easiest anemones to keep long term. I acquired a mag anemone a little over a year ago and I found its reputation of being difficult...to be completely accurate but gosh its worth it.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of anemone. I have kept many species and I find Carpet and Mag anemones to be the most difficult. I consider anemones advanced, but BTA are the easiest anemones to keep long term. I acquired a mag anemone a little over a year ago and I found it reputation of being difficult...to be completely accurate but gosh its worth it.

That is great flow! Congrats....

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the key is making the right selection. Learn what to look out for before purchasing and ask some simple questions of the lfs staff like do they treat them with antibiotics, how long have they been in the store, etc. if you keep your eye out you can get a great deal on a great addition. I got this guy for 40 bucks when he was about 3 inches across.

3983D7F9-19D7-4631-927B-9FBD5A0E37F3.jpeg

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread jacking is when someone other then the original op derails the conversation…

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry. I have 4 MP40's and 2 Gyre 330's soon to be updated to the 350's.. Flow is soooo important...It also is a factor in determining how corals grow as well.
For certain... I currently have 2 smaller Jebao, and a few hydors, one other powerhead in my 90. Looking at a Gyre in the very near future.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great flow! Congrats....
I think its important to vary the current in the tank at different parts of the day...i notice (others mention this as well) the shape of my corals tend to match what is seen in the wild for the most part.

This is during the afternoon:

This is in the evening right before lights out:

Last edited:
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA are hardy in the right system. They require a mature tank. 6 months at minimum but closer to a year old is best. They need strong light and stable parameters. Check the livestock forum on here before buying anything from the LFS. Here's my rainbow that I only paid $80 for from a local reefer.
$80 was a little steep for that rainbow frag, considering it was only 1 1/2 inch across... they had 5 others there, and all of those were over 3 1/2 inches across.

I definitely want a RBTA as my first nem - are the rainbows as hardy as regular BTA?

Maybe I could try to negotiate?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$80 was a little steep for that rainbow frag, considering it was only 1 1/2 inch across... they had 5 others there, and all of those were over 3 1/2 inches across.

I definitely want a RBTA as my first nem - are the rainbows as hardy as regular BTA?

Maybe I could try to negotiate?
Yes! The negotiations.... I always try. Usually I'll try and dump their price by about 10%, they'll bite by asking 'well what else are you gonna take if I reduce the price?' I'll shop the store for some cheaper stuff like snails or other inverts and get them slightly discounted as well. Its worth the shot.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! The negotiations.... I always try. Usually I'll try and dump their price by about 10%, they'll bite by asking 'well what else are you gonna take if I reduce the price?' I'll shop the store for some cheaper stuff like snails or other inverts and get them slightly discounted as well. Its worth the shot.
I will try to get them to sell me the baby RBTA next time I’m in the store. I wouldn’t pay more than $40 for one that small, and even that may be pushing it...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check local reefers. I got a rainbow that's 6 or 8" across for $80

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not difficult whatsoever. Like many people have said stability is key and keeping them protected from jumping into powerheads is important.

I was actually able to have success with my anemone 3 to 4 months after my tank started (Note I did use established live rock from a 2 year old tank that was added about a month or two after the tank was started with a smaller amount of dry rock and a new sand) the addition of the established live rock is probably what did the trick for me.

Even minor fluctuations every now and then salon are you guys wonky because you forgot to refill your ATO, a hot day in the summer spiking temps 3-4° above your normal peak, ect. aren't going to kill the anemone. At most you will notice it's upset because it will deflate a lot it's tentacles will become very thin and it might move around. As long as you correct those inconsistencies as soon as you notice them or start to see changes in your nems behavior there shouldn't be an issue.

Back