Are axolotl's reef safe?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must have been something wrong with mine. I almost had to force feed the thing.
I never said amazing lol. Get a clawed frog if you want an amazing predator. I haven’t had an axie (illegal by me), but from what I’ve read, they are actually a danger to other fish. I’d assume that makes them pretty good.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said amazing lol. Get a clawed frog if you want an amazing predator. I haven’t had an axie (illegal by me), but from what I’ve read, they are actually a danger to other fish. I’d assume that makes them pretty good.
I bought one for my son, and to get it to eat anything I had to literally squirt the food directly into its face. Even then it would only occasionally take a bite. I can't image the one we had being a predator to anything. It didn't survive for very long so I wasn't completely joking when I said there may have been something wrong with mine.

They look neat but I would never own another one.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one for my son, and to get it to eat anything I had to literally squirt the food directly into its face. Even then it would only occasionally take a bite. I can't image the one we had being a predator to anything. It didn't survive for very long so I wasn't completely joking when I said there may have been something wrong with mine.

They look neat but I would never own another one.
they eat live food and need special care, They are not easy to care for, but live a long time

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they eat live food and need special care, They are not easy to care for, but live a long time
It was an impromptu purchase where I foolishly didn't do any research and took the word of the person selling it. Which is ironic because I have told people on public forums not to do exactly that.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cold water makes for a pretty plain setup plant/tankmate wise. They also don't do much I had mine for 5 years and fed it Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and nightcrawlers. Other than feeding time it would just sit there would likely bore your daughter pretty quick.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cold water makes for a pretty plain setup plant/tankmate wise. They also don't do much I had mine for 5 years and fed it Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and nightcrawlers. Other than feeding time it would just sit there would likely bore your daughter pretty quick.
on top of that, they are really easily stressed, so a little kid putting her face up to or tapping the glass would make it retreat to its hiding places

also, 5 isn't long for an axolotl

they are also nocturnal, so will be moving around a bit more then

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on top of that, they are really easily stressed, so a little kid putting her face up to or tapping the glass would make it retreat to its hiding places

also, 5 isn't long for an axolotl

they are also nocturnal, so will be moving around a bit more then
No idea how old it was when I got it but it was full grown when I went off to school and my buddy who took it for another 2 years. So to clarify it was likely alive over a decade it was 9-10 inch when I got it. Didn't even think about the tapping def not the best pet for a kid.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back