Are blastos the new "in" lps?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some absolutely absurdly priced blastos recently. I guess ive never noticed $500 + per head before i don't think. It seems like fairly common blastos have been commanding higher asking prices the last few months. Could they be the next "in" coral? It was the same with acans in 2011.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few that have had high prices but I don't think most are going to grow and be fraggable to the point they can be the next "in" thing. At least in my experience the only fast growing ones are merlettis and the only popular ones of those I see are rainbow types.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be more due to the rarity. Over the years, I haven't seen many colorful variations of blastos. The ones that draw my attention have always been pricey but I don't see them that often or that readily available.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love blastos! Would love to see them take that spot, but I haven't seen that much talk about them lately. It would be cool to see them jump in popularity.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know what you’re thinking about as far as seeing high priced blastos. Lately some ironman have been posted which have been around atleast since 2012.. idk when rdpd came out but that’s probably one you’re seeing a lot and lastly a Deadpool blasto which I think is a bit newer.. I don’t think they are the new it thing like torches..

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...these are a few of my favorite things. and oh yeah, I'm kinda hoarding a mot more lol
thumbnail.jpg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I know what you’re thinking about as far as seeing high priced blastos. Lately some ironman have been posted which have been around atleast since 2012.. idk when rdpd came out but that’s probably one you’re seeing a lot and lastly a Deadpool blasto which I think is a bit newer.. I don’t think they are the new it thing like torches..
Totally agree. Unique Blasto colonies are incredible to see in person and sell very easy due to supply. Any Torch has the motion/movement that's more attractive to all where blasto's only get the attention they deserve when colonized. No chance Blasto's will make the top anytime soon. I've always believed the Elegance Coral, in particular rare strains are lurking in the back to challenge the torch for there top spot. You put an Elegance Coral in a dominant SPS tank, 9 out of 10 will look at the Elegance first.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. Unique Blasto colonies are incredible to see in person and sell very easy due to supply. Any Torch has the motion/movement that's more attractive to all where blasto's only get the attention they deserve when colonized. No chance Blasto's will make the top anytime soon. I've always believed the Elegance Coral, in particular rare strains are lurking in the back to challenge the torch for there top spot. You put an Elegance Coral in a dominant SPS tank, 9 out of 10 will look at the Elegance first.
Only issue i would raise with elegance is the that they are fincky. It was only fairly recent they have become more common. But I agree it's going to steal the show off the bat.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue i would raise with elegance is the that they are fincky. It was only fairly recent they have become more common. But I agree it's going to steal the show off the bat.

Mine went through a “rough” patch. This was 2-3 weeks ago. Got terrible extension from it, but it opened every day. doing a lot better now, wish I had pictures
880F5977-49E5-4264-9F94-2BFFB85FEF75.jpeg
87E455CC-EAEE-484C-9009-86ACB0D2A2E6.jpeg

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few that have had high prices but I don't think most are going to grow and be fraggable to the point they can be the next "in" thing. At least in my experience the only fast growing ones are merlettis and the only popular ones of those I see are rainbow types.
Yes i believe I've been seeing the types. I have two unknown frags. I am hoping i can somehow WILL them to grow quickly

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a “rough” patch. This was 2-3 weeks ago. Got terrible extension from it, but it opened every day. doing a lot better now, wish I had pictures
880F5977-49E5-4264-9F94-2BFFB85FEF75.jpeg
87E455CC-EAEE-484C-9009-86ACB0D2A2E6.jpeg
Any idea why? I had some things recede badly out of blue and then start coming back from the brink. I'm happy i saved them

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot who it was, but one of my recent orders gave me one for free, the normal purplish red and green so i thought they were just trying to off load it, cool little coral, didn't even know what it was and i think thats why i finally ended up making an account on here lol. Had mine for a month or so now and 3 new heads already formed. Really love low light and no/low flow. Seems easy and a big reason people would like them(not to mention fast growing so they can resell) They have some really great colors but i never seem to see them for sale and only pictures so they must get picked up fast being so easy.

blasto.jpg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember the "good ole days" back in the 90's when you could pickup a 12" to 15" elegance for $75 or less and they were fairly easy to find. My local store had one that basically took up his entire 90gal show tank. I would stand and stare at it for 10 to 15 minutes every time I went to that store. I remember when the purple tipped elegances started showing up. The price was double to triple for those. The elegance and fox corals are still my all time favorite lps corals.

Back