Are Brittle Stars Aggressive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rovert
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rovert

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2022
Messages
369
Reaction score
282
Location
Lords Valley, PA
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had a number of unexplained fish and snail disappearances over the past number of months. Specifically, I've lost two coral beauty and two carpenter wrasses without a trace. At first, I blamed it on my hog fish, but I'm wondering if it might be one or both brittle stars that are the culprits. Any thoughts?
 
I have several small fish in my tank and I've never lost one to a brittle starfish. While they're scavengers, I think they're primarily opportunistic scavengers. And typically lazy, lol.

I've got 6 of various species in my tank (and have had some of them for well over a year).
 
To my knowledge, brittle stars will only go after the waste.. even if it is a dead fish, but I e never had one kill a fish. I have heard green brittle stars can kill though.
Dude, that firebird is AMAZING!
 
Specify what type of brittle.

Its not unheard of, sometimes expected of some brittles to eat fish, especially the large ones.

I've seen green brittles eat large morays at night. Some of the other brittles could manage it as well, but they tend to be too small to achieve anything unlike green brittles which are massive. Banded Serpents for example are too small to hunt anything and are more easily kept fed, there's no reports of them attacking and killing anything that I can find.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new