Are BTA worth it?

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200G mixed reef tank. I am considering adding a BTA. I know many of the reported problems with their care including wandering, power heads, and stinging other corals, but I want to know if anyone that has had them actually regrets their decision to get one? i.e Are they worth it?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How developed is your tank? I love mine, and recently bought a second one. With that being said, if you have very old colonies of prized corals, I’d be hesitant. They can definitely travel and sting other corals if their unhappy. Ideally you want a crevice with moderate lighting and medium/low flow! At least that’s what mine enjoy :)

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs are jerks. But quaint jerks. Especially if your clown(s) think they are worth hosting. I will say this: they are a very dynamic creature, looking different over time and responding to various changes to their environment (not necessarily in a bad way).

OP
OP
M

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs are jerks. But quaint jerks. Especially if your clown(s) think they are worth hosting. I will say this: they are a very dynamic creature, looking different over time and responding to various changes to their environment (not necessarily in a bad way).
That is what I keep hearing, pain in the butt, but worth it. So no regrets?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are
20201101_213827.jpg
20201101_213854.jpg
20201101_213138.jpg
20201101_213100.jpg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I keep hearing, pain in the butt, but worth it. So no regrets?

Let me put it this way: If you are the type that likes clownfish (which are also big jerks), then you will do just fine with BTAs. (This said from someone who used to keep Triggerfish, hence my moniker).

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a BTA for my mixed reef without planning on getting one. When it started wandering I instantly regretted it, but it ducked all my other corals and found a nice crevice to set foot, and now I am very happy I got it!
Very nice vibrant colours and swaying movement!
(Hope I didnt jinx it by typing this out, and find it opposite side of the reef tomorrow leaving a path of death behind it!)

OP
OP
M

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a BTA for my mixed reef without planning on getting one. When it started wandering I instantly regretted it, but it ducked all my other corals and found a nice crevice to set foot, and now I am very happy I got it!
Very nice vibrant colours and swaying movement!
(Hope I didnt jinx it by typing this out, and find it opposite side of the reef tomorrow leaving a path of death behind it!)
How long did it wonder for?

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs yes! Had a LFS sell me a Condy... regretted that the next day with 3 dead fish. Only wish it hadn't settled on a rock that I have a Cyphastrea crusting on, but it if stays there I can live with it.

1608758086088.png

OP
OP
M

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am bringing this post back because I am about to purchase a BTA and still want opinions "are they worth it?" I know the pros and cons, relay looking to see if any one truly regrets purchase. My tank is pretty full of coral now.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am bringing this post back because I am about to purchase a BTA and still want opinions "are they worth it?" I know the pros and cons, relay looking to see if any one truly regrets purchase. My tank is pretty full of coral now.
If you have corals...I vote no. I have a BTA...and it has split on me a few times. Now I have three and they keep on walking and walking. Not happy, not one bit.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having a separate BTA/clown tank is the best option. I liked Melev's 60g anemone cube. I tried to have an anemone in my 29gal - was super fun watching the clowns bury, until it decided to go for walk and then full disaster when I had a short in a heater and the stray current caused it to melt precipitating a tank crash. not fun.

I was looking at a frag tank last week at my LFS wondering what the heck was covering some of the frags - until the owner walked over and removed a sickly BTA from the anemone rack. I asked him if it's melting and he nodded yes. I nearly had a panic flashback.

Back