Are Deep Sand Beds really a thing of the past?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this fine sand in a refugium area. I kept some sand dwelling critters in there too. Worked well for me.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s bring back Southdown

and I’ve been to a few rodeos in Central America

always a good time on Friday night, highly recommended!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by corals being nutrient sinks. They produce waste. Chaeto can work, but you need it to grow rapidly or in a large quantity, then remove it from the tank. Whether you reduce feeding and reduce the livestock, you will still accumulate nitrates. You need nutrient export, not reduction. As I said earlier, DSBs are for nitrates.
They uptake nutrients as they grow, quite a bit in fact. Some people even use xenia instead of macro algae.

OP
OP
Kitjo

Kitjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from what I’ve gathered from the responses here, as well as additional reading, this is my conclusion…

Deep Sand Beds are not just a thing of the past.

Many people still use Deep Sand Beds.

Many people who have used Deep Sand Beds in the past often say it was their most stable tank.

Deep Sand Beds are not trendy now.

Deep Sand Beds have a ton of fear associated with them that are passed on by many people who have not experienced it firsthand.

Tank crashes can occur, but if it occurs in a tank with a DSB, the the DSB often gets blamed.

There are other benefits in addition to denitrification, but that’s what a Deep Sand Bend is most well known for. And there are other “simpler” or “cleaner” or “prettier” systems that remove excess nitrogen, and Deep Sand Beds take up real estate in the display tank, so the other systems are often used.

Deep Sand Beds do work if set up correctly… 4-6” deep, fine grain sand.

Deep Sand Beds do require some maintenance, typically deep suctioning, only in small sections at a time (methodically working your way through the bed over a few weeks to months), starting after 1.5-3 years of establishment.

Deep Sand Beds may need to have more sand added, typically with the maintenance above.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep Sand Beds do require some maintenance, typically deep suctioning, only in small sections at a time (methodically working your way through the bed over a few weeks to months), starting after 1.5-3 years of establishment.

Deep Sand Beds may need to have more sand added, typically with the maintenance above.
The only maintenance I've ever been "required" to do is to add sand once a year to maintain bed depth. Suctioning is not necessary. IMO, anything that disturbs the deep region of the bed could release unwanted contaminants, so it would have to be done with great care.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back