Are Deep Sand Beds really a thing of the past?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s comical when I see posts on this board like “my torch coral is dying and I have no idea why”. So I ask “when was the last time you cleaned your sandbed.” Many times the answer is “never”. So I just shake my head and move to the next post. If I try to tell them that they’re sandbed is killing their corals I get flamed. by all the “experts” here. So I stopped trying to help people with their sandbeds.
All sandbeds are different...

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But all detritus is the same. It’s organic matter that is rotting in your sand bed.
I have no rotting organic matter in my tank... you just don't understand the benefits of skimmerless/filterless setup and very fine sand bed..

No water changes, I don't even need to clean glass (maybe once every 3 weeks)! and when I clean glass - it's mostly coraline algae..

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway - I am here to learn about deep sand beds, not to argue about sand maintenance..

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..so shall I just put a jar with 5 inches of sand in my refugium - and that's it (subject to once every year/2 years maintenance)?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is DSB in a fuge basically a container filled with 4-6 inches of sand (for ease of removal/maintenance)?
Yes. I partitioned a zone about 12" x 15" in my sump for sand. The water flows slowly over the top so as not to disturb the sand. That's all it needs to be.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I partitioned a zone about 12" x 15" in my sump for sand. The water flows slowly over the top so as not to disturb the sand. That's all it needs to be.
Perfect.. I don't think this experiment will do any harm. I don't have issues with Nitrates (in fact I have to dose Nitrates periodically) but I like the idea of providing additional area for bio-diversity..

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..so shall I just put a jar with 5 inches of sand in my refugium - and that's it (subject to once every year/2 years maintenance)?
No. You need a certain amount of volume and surface area. Some people actually use a 5 gallon bucket with a supply and a return line and a low flow pump. All flow is above, not through, the sand. This is called a remote DSB.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect.. I don't think this experiment will do any harm. I don't have issues with Nitrates (in fact I have to dose Nitrates periodically) but I like the idea of providing additional area for bio-diversity..
I have red/blue waterproof LED panels over my DSB for algae growth to export nitrates and phosphates. When I remove 90% of the algae, the DSB keeps removing nitrates.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were kind of popular when I started but I was starting a nano and didn't want to waste space. Never struggled with nitrates anyways and these days there are so many ways to deal with nitrates that I really don't see a reason to do a DSB. It's less efficient spacewise than other media and of course there is the risk of H2S (though I think this is not a real risk in most cases). It also takes a lot longer to get working.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red/blue waterproof LED panels over my DSB for algae growth to export nitrates and phosphates. When I remove 90% of the algae, the DSB keeps removing nitrates.
What kind of algae do you grow? I only have chaeto in my refugium ( and some random blue coloured fluffy algae)...

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were kind of popular when I started but I was starting a nano and didn't want to waste space. Never struggled with nitrates anyways and these days there are so many ways to deal with nitrates that I really don't see a reason to do a DSB. It's less efficient spacewise than other media and of course there is the risk of H2S (though I think this is not a real risk in most cases). It also takes a lot longer to get working.
I can't see how you can use a DSB effectively in a nano tank, or any tank without room for a sump or remote DSB.

The other efficient methods require space, maintenance, and sometimes money for supplies. Two 100% natural and super low maintenance methods are a DSB and growing algae, whether free-floating or with an algae scrubber. Algae has the added benefit of helping to keep phosphates low, since nitrate and phosphate are plant fertilizers. As I said, all a DSB needs is a bit of aragonite sand added on top as the bottom sand is dissolved.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of algae do you grow? I only have chaeto in my refugium ( and some random blue coloured fluffy algae)...
Chaeto works great. So does your fluffy (probably green hair) algae. When you get a large quantity, remove half of it, squeeze it out, and rescue as many pods as possible for the fish to eat.

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still keep a 4-5” sand bed in my DT, but I also plan on keeping sand sifting fish and inverts

I enjoy the look more than doing it for specific purposes

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most stable tanks I’ve ever had, had deep sand beds

not saying it’s the only way but it sure is a stable way

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never experienced old tank syndrome or any of the “pitfalls” everyone talks about with DSB

actually have more problems with the “modern” techniques which promise nitrate reduction and stability

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back