Are diamond watchmen hiders?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title. i havent seem my watchmen at all today, he only came out a little bit 2 days ago, was out a lot yesterday, but havent seen a sign of him. did he die for no reason? he also hasnt eaten expect once the day after i got him. i have a had him for 1 week. it was eating at the store, i take a turkey baster and squirt food by him but has no interest in it. i know this is probably a problem, my ammonia is at 0, anything else that could cause this?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one once that disappeared for months after I got him

I Figured he was dead and forgot about him

Out of nowhere, he builds a hole to his burrow right in the front of the tank… he then spends months sitting on his front porch being grumpy

Months/years later he disappears again

I figure that’s normal until my wife notices a fish in the corner overflow

Yes. The son of a ***** jumped into the overflow!

I try to get him out and he swims his way into the return plumbing and goes ~40 feet into my basement sump

He partially clogs the outlet and I wiggle him out, and I figure this guy is toast…. I leave him in the fuge figuring he is safest left there

He lives in my fuge for at least a couple years. I moved him back to the display eventually and he disappeared again and never saw him.

Those guys are feisty. Be sure to give him a good name and feed enough for him to find scraps. He’ll do the rest

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost a diamond from seemingly no reason at all. All other fish were fine and I never found the diamond bc I assume the crabs got him first. Tank params were fine and everything.

Replaced him and this diamond watchman is an absolute tank, digs caves everywhere and has been going a year plus with no signs of slowing down. They occasionally eat some mysis but not much else, but I assume they get their needs met from the sand.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one once that disappeared for months after I got him

I Figured he was dead and forgot about him

Out of nowhere, he builds a hole to his burrow right in the front of the tank… he then spends months sitting on his front porch being grumpy

Months/years later he disappears again

I figure that’s normal until my wife notices a fish in the corner overflow

Yes. The son of a ***** jumped into the overflow!

I try to get him out and he swims his way into the return plumbing and goes ~40 feet into my basement sump

He partially clogs the outlet and I wiggle him out, and I figure this guy is toast…. I leave him in the fuge figuring he is safest left there

He lives in my fuge for at least a couple years. I moved him back to the display eventually and he disappeared again and never saw him.

Those guys are feisty. Be sure to give him a good name and feed enough for him to find scraps. He’ll do the rest
Man. I've checked my rear overflows of my tank. All I found was a accidental refugeium of brown algae.

Now I'm assuming he died and got ate by fish or jumped out and got ate by the cat or dog.

It's my 3rd goby.
2 of the others in my other tank I had the glory of stepping on them in the morning.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. I've checked my rear overflows of my tank. All I found was a accidental refugeium of brown algae.

Now I'm assuming he died and got ate by fish or jumped out and got ate by the cat or dog.

It's my 3rd goby.
2 of the others in my other tank I had the glory of stepping on them in the morning.
What’s his name?

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always sifting by day and hiding by night...
What other fish do you have in the tank ?
All friendly companion?
well, i have a springeri damsel and a clown. i noticed absolutely no agression between them though

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should they be fed? i had one before this one (lost it to velvet) and i fed that one.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well he came out today! but he isnt sifting sand... i will wait to see if he starts

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back