Are encrusting corals a mistake?

Is adding an encrusting coral to you main rock work a mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 42 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 56 31.5%

• Total voters

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mostly peaceful tank outside of my Euphyllia. It SOUNDS like a good idea to fill in dead space with encrusting coral, but I have seen some people saying that they regret their encrusters.

What do you think? And if they aren't a mistake, do you have recommendations?

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mostly peaceful tank outside of my Euphyllia. It SOUNDS like a good idea to fill in dead space with encrusting coral, but I have seen some people saying that they regret their encrusters.

What do you think? And if they aren't a mistake, do you have recommendations?

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.
The thing with the encrusters is you can just plop something on top of them. Many of them will also make cool shelves on the rockwork and ultimately more places to put other coral. I'd say highly recommended.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like montis. I say "proceed with caution." Have a plan for how you will deal with encrusting that gets out of hand before you put the coral in the tank.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the species involved, after multiple encrusters grow out, they usually keep each other in check. I have a tank full of various montis, leptoseris, pavona, etc, and there is usually one that keeps the others at bay. I do not do mixed reefs though, so that may be why it is okay for me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting monti's, never again!

I have a very large and beautiful sunset monti, only problem is anything it touches, it kills, and grows over.

I have a nice mini colony of sarmentosa. I mounted it dead center of the monti, it is now starting to kill and encrust up the sarmentosa. Need to apply some kalk paste to kill it off before it completely kills the sarmentosa.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevitability, whatever we place in our tanks will be a problem do to our success.
If you place it in your tank and give it the right conditions you have set into motion wars all over your tank for space and light.
It's inevitable.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevitability, whatever we place in our tanks will be a problem do to our success.
If you place it in your tank and give it the right conditions you have set into motion wars all over your tank for space and light.
It's inevitable.
Very true!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's inevitable.
That’s a good problem to have and is really a problem to have a healthy system. Lol.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this is a mistake

D0C10F52-A950-4FF5-B9E4-3ACEED82C926.gif

attempting to keep sps… is not.
(try your best, you will succeed)

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's inevitable.
That sounds like the beginning of a novel!

Back