Are marine aquariums too dangerous and a liability?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so that might sound a stupid question to most but there is a message in the stupidity.
I have lost count of the spillages, leaks , floods and electrocutions I have had over the 37/38 years I have been keeping marines. Some have been through negligence I guess, some just unlucky some failure of equipment and some because my tank was annoyed at me for leaving and going on holiday just waiting to get it'sown back soon after I left to go on holiday which was the case a few month back.

Getting a shock after a heater failed or powerhead decided to allow water into it is no joke either. I love this hobby although it can be a nightmare esp if you live in an upstairs apartment. Marine reef aquariums are also a money pit and difficult to control the urge to buy just one more coral or fish. We won't go into the latest must have piece of equipment. So with that in mind are our aquariums something of a liability or should I ask your other half that question? ;)

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol definitely ask the other half as her answer is probably different.

Thankfully I haven't had the event of getting shocked by failed equipment yet. I've been bit by 120 before though, and I'll agree it isn't fun especially when you think you're just reaching in to adjust coral.

Other than that though, in my 10 years now I've only had one overflow event which was pretty bad in the upstairs of my parents old house. That was caused by a snail blocking my over flow, the sump turning on the ATO and then just continuing to run. Ended up with 10 gallons of water leaking through the kitchen light fixture. Not fun.

Overall, I don't think they're "too dangerous" or a liability. In my experience if they're set up poorly or not maintained properly, then yes, they can be a problem. But in my mind that liability is more with the owner/caretaker than it is with hobby or tank itself.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, I guess I've never really thought of my reef tanks as 'dangerous'. I did get a nasty vibrio infection one time, and have cut myself on numerous other occasions; but not as much as when doing woodworking. I ALWAYS stand on a piece of Styrofoam when putting my hand into the sump or when handling any equipment; so never had any shocks. A few floods, but always in an unfinished fish room, never in the family room.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken in the larger context of " compared to other hobbies" I would say no. Just my opinion but when compared to racing, climbing, boxing, martial arts, scuba diving or even the likes of golf it's not so bad a risk. A lot of hobbies carry risk versus reward questions that we must consider before and during engaging in those hobbies. I think with a few safeguards in place on a tank things are well inside acceptable levels. Heck, rowdy times on a waterbed can result in a flood, lol.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spillages, leaks , floods and electrocutions.......Sounds like me getting my morning coffee.

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spillages, leaks , floods and electrocutions.......Sounds like me getting my morning coffee.

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Funny and deep... I give this post two thumbs up lol

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken in the larger context of " compared to other hobbies" I would say no. Just my opinion but when compared to racing, climbing, boxing, martial arts, scuba diving or even the likes of golf it's not so bad a risk. A lot of hobbies carry risk versus reward questions that we must consider before and during engaging in those hobbies. I think with a few safeguards in place on a tank things are well inside acceptable levels. Heck, rowdy times on a waterbed can result in a flood, lol.

I just started the "open water" salmon season on Lake Champlain with my buddy. We troll salmon until the lake freezes. I'm leaning over the side of the boat rigging lines inches away from 50 degree water. We do wear life jackets and check the weather, but we've gone out in pretty dicey conditions and colder water temps. We joke that the local Coast Guard doesn't do rescue missions for us...they do recovery.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I rode motorcycles. People call you organ donor and tell you you will die.

In New Hampshire they don't have a mandatory helmet law. The state motto on license plates is "Live Free or Die"

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In New Hampshire they don't have a mandatory helmet law. The state motto on license plates is "Live Free or Die"

We don't have a helmet law either, but we do have a seat belt law. Does that mean the bikers have better lawyers? :p

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Tripdad said, compared to other hobbies, we are fairly low risk. My other passion is offshore sailing and getting washed off the deck in storm in the middle of the nigh 500 miles off shore is a greater risk than getting shocked by my heater, but that risk for me is worth it for the reward of a passage to some tropical island, and the same for having a tank, watching the fish is worth the risk of a little water on the floor.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s really a liability at all esp if yuh keep up with your tank as far as cleaning the pumps , power heads etc... as far as over flows go I never had a rank over flow just the ato canister only do to my fault or not having a float switch and forgetting the rodi on [emoji1750]‍[emoji3603] other then that all good the last 7 yrs

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was heavily into cycling I spent too much money on gear, took lots of risk on the road, etc. Had plenty of crashes but no serious injuries. I feel like that was much higher risk and about the same financial impact. But I guess a whole lot better for my health!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about it. haven't fallen off a ladder yet .LOL

Uhh...... I fell off a ladder/scaffolding a few years ago while scraping my house. The ladder broke my fall....the paint scraper in my hand broke several teeth and tore up my face. Luckily no concussion or other serious injuries. I finally finished painting that part of the house with a really long painbrush last year.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh...... I fell off a ladder/scaffolding a few years ago while scraping my house. The ladder broke my fall....the paint scraper in my hand broke several teeth and tore up my face. Luckily no concussion or other serious injuries. I finally finished painting that part of the house with a really long painbrush last year.
I watched my dad fall off a scaffold when I was a kid. As my dad lay on the driveway writhing in pain the old drunk guy we were paint for came out and said “I’d have given you a 10 if you had kept your feet together”. He didn’t have as much damage to himself as you did though. I bet that hurt!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back