Are marine aquariums too dangerous and a liability?

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone locally had a small coral shop in their basement, and had their house catch fire due to an issue with their tanks. I once had a tank crack and stream water straight into a power strip (not GFCI protected), when I found it sparks were shooting out, and had I not come home when I did, likely would have burnt down the complex I lived in. I've also been shocked by a bad pump, bitten by fish, and had countless stings that caused my hands to swell to the point paint and purple that I almost went to the ER.

In hindsight though, those are all things that could have been mitigated - GFCI outlets, hanging power strips, wearing thick gloves, etc. Tanks can be dangerous, but like any other risky hobby, there's ways to mitigate that risk so that when things go wrong, it's no big deal. Unless your tank breaks, then you're just kinda screwed unless you're home to react.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re scared of your aquarium, you should be terrified of driving. Or even being outside, where you could get hit by lightning or attached by rogue bear.

Statistics, people. Probability. Don’t fear monger!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my floods/leaks have been my error.

1) I don’t think through what I just did — examples:
— adjusting skimmer such that it splashes out of the tank severely,
— getting lazy on my canister filter instead of cleaning the clog I added the return in to the sump to keep it flowing. Apparently there is no check valve — so when the power went out it flooded...
— buying used glass (not a good idea proven 2x — once was a minor leak and one was leak that caused a fire dripping down in to the power strip — I was there and saved my brand new build house but there are two lessons here)
— leaving my water top off running from the basement while I struggle to get dinner ready for my kids and forget it was left on. Whoops!!

Those are just my floods, and a fire. I’ve been keeping salt for 14 years, aquariums for 25+.

All of that was easily preventable if I just slowed down and thought about what I was doing. Perhaps some of you will learn from my mistakes. Focus 100% on your setups, don’t work on them distracted, and be smart— plan, plan, plan!

I’m not handy at all. My realm is finance, sales, psychology, etc. I fall very short in the DIY category.
@HotRocks is much more methodical than I and a best friend. He doesn’t let me do things halfhazard either. #WallTank

corky1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so that might sound a stupid question to most but there is a message in the stupidity.
I have lost count of the spillages, leaks , floods and electrocutions I have had over the 37/38 years I have been keeping marines. Some have been through negligence I guess, some just unlucky some failure of equipment and some because my tank was annoyed at me for leaving and going on holiday just waiting to get it'sown back soon after I left to go on holiday which was the case a few month back.

Getting a shock after a heater failed or powerhead decided to allow water into it is no joke either. I love this hobby although it can be a nightmare esp if you live in an upstairs apartment. Marine reef aquariums are also a money pit and difficult to control the urge to buy just one more coral or fish. We won't go into the latest must have piece of equipment. So with that in mind are our aquariums something of a liability or should I ask your other half that question? ;)
It’s all goes
OK so that might sound a stupid question to most but there is a message in the stupidity.
I have lost count of the spillages, leaks , floods and electrocutions I have had over the 37/38 years I have been keeping marines. Some have been through negligence I guess, some just unlucky some failure of equipment and some because my tank was annoyed at me for leaving and going on holiday just waiting to get it'sown back soon after I left to go on holiday which was the case a few month back.

Getting a shock after a heater failed or powerhead decided to allow water into it is no joke either. I love this hobby although it can be a nightmare esp if you live in an upstairs apartment. Marine reef aquariums are also a money pit and difficult to control the urge to buy just one more coral or fish. We won't go into the latest must have piece of equipment. So with that in mind are our aquariums something of a liability or should I ask your other half that question? ;)
As a reefer these thing are all part of the learning curve! Yes I’ve ruined floors with multiple floods, been shocked, and gotten some kind infection lol . But I’ve learned a lot along the way it’s just part of it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this post but honestly you can’t put a saltwater tank on nice new hardwood floors. You can but is that smart?

That's where both of mine are, unfortunately! It definitely requires an extra level of caution, planning, and ongoing neatness. Fortunately I'm obsessive about keeping everything clean and watertight. :)

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Over the 40+ years I have had a few leaks in the basement area. It was deigned with that in mind. I have been fortunate to not have any in the display tank areas. I use GFIC breakers to provide safety on electrical. There is some liability. I have a rider on my insurance to cover the big stuff.

Now when I compare to Flying Radio Control Airplanes, Drones, etc. It does not even begin. I have over a 1 million dollar liability policy. Crashing an airplane I have put 100.00 into is expensive. Some years I have had 10 of these. So the costs are comparable to the Reef Hobby.

Then there is my Ham Radio Hobby. Radios are 7,000.00 with another 15,000 for a tower and antennas. The 2 Million liability insurance for the tower is expensive. So this can be expensive and have liability. This does not talk about the possibility of electrocution, Radio Frequency Burns, or falling from the tower.

All in all, my reef tank is not too bad.

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People on here talking about the drive to work being risky, I get that......What about just being at work, some of us risk lives daily to provide a good life for our loved ones. Tank is supposed to be a fun escape from things like that.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People on here talking about the drive to work being risky, I get that......What about just being at work, some of us risk lives daily to provide a good life for our loved ones. Tank is supposed to be a fun escape from things like that.

That's actually an interesting point. For people with stressful jobs and long work hours, this may well not be the right hobby. It's endless challenging and fascinating, but not always relaxing.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything had a risk. I have been keeping tanks for 45+ years never been electrocuted. Had a large amount of water come out of a 180 gallon and thought it was going to tip over in an earthquake. Had a return line come off and put about 70 gallons on a new wood floor. Have a clown that actually bit hard enough to draw blood. Slipping off the boat while in the driveway hurt more, the bruise is still there after six months. Bad back numb feet and not supposed to be on ladders on blood thinners from heart surgery but have to be on one to work on my tank. So many hobbies and other activities ate higher risk.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if it is a liability, but I do check the tank first thing every morning when I wake up and every time I come home. When I filled it four months ago I figured that would subside, but nope, still a bit paranoid about a disaster.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In New Hampshire they don't have a mandatory helmet law. The state motto on license plates is "Live Free or Die"
No helmet law hear either for adults childeren under 18 must have a helmet. Everyone must have a seat belt on by law.
I dont think our aquariums are dangerous or a liability any more than anything else in our everyday lives. You cell phone battery can blow up, you can get in a car crash, you could slip in the shower, anything plugged in to power can electrocute you, a mosquito coule bite you give a lethal virus, so many things in our daily world are much more dangerous than a reef aquarium. If the aquairum is set up poorly things like floods can happen. Planning, water leak sensors and proper install will prevent and floods. My current tank is pretty flood proof, bean animal overflow has 3 drains and 1 acts solely as an emergency drain plus each drain can handle the flow to the sump. My ATO is set so it wont syphon or over fill the sump. My sump is large enough that it can handle the drainage from the tank if the return pump is off. I plan to change up my return manifold to add a check valve and add a second high level float switch to my ATO to increase safety backups.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if it is a liability, but I do check the tank first thing every morning when I wake up and every time I come home. When I filled it four months ago I figured that would subside, but nope, still a bit paranoid about a disaster.
That is why you never make a change before going out of town. I prefer to do changes on a Friday and have the weekend to keep an eye on things.

Cujo#31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, you are asking the wrong crew a question they aren’t going to answer truthfully . I mean, it like asking if dropping thousands upon thousands of dollars to glue live animals to rocks if it is a wise way to spend their money.
For me, I used to be a goaltender. I skated with 2 teams and a rec group and was on the ice 4 days a week. It was my escape, my decompression. 15 years ago I tore up my ankle and have not been able to skate since. I was lost. I found reefing 12 years ago and I found my decompression. Floors can be repaired much easier than a soul. So no...it’s not a liability for me.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, way too dangerous. I’m quitting any day now and switching to my other hobby.

Base jumping with lions. Into a volcano.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back