Are marine aquariums too dangerous and a liability?

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us have old houses without GFCI. I can’t install GCFI due to the fact I have a two wire system in my house.
Assuming you have the outlets installed in metal boxes with type BX wire you would add a ground screw to the box with a green or bare wire tail from the screw and use that on your device.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one using grounding probes in there tank or sump? I looked into them after reading all the posts about ppl getting zapped. Relatively inexpensive failsafe used inconjuction with GFCI.

I was hoping to find a wall mount or cabinet mount voltmeter for stray voltage as well. No luck just hand helds.

Something like this cabinet mounted voltmeter.
91L4 Analog Panel Volt Voltage Meter Voltmeter Gauge AC 0-150V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8WKH1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6zX7BbM1879DZ

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using it but I'm sure more searching and you can find a "designed in USA, assembled in Mexico";)

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take this as negative contest but I was curious and did a little research. Looks like two wire outlets can be replaced with GFCI, no?

upload_2018-11-15_14-9-50.png
That’s nice to know, I don’t usually mess with electrical stuff since my last shock about 30 years ago. But will that setup actually trip the protection circuit if there’s a fault?

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find keeping fish stressful you are doing it wrong. I have always loved coming home to watch my tank.
I think it can be stressful AND fun. Problem solving and working through challenges and stress is what makes this hobby so enjoyable. Maintaining a reef tank and working through many issues, small and large, kept me sane through 2020.

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With anything in life, if you are really serious about staying in an expensive hobby start a side hustle around that hobby to help offset some, or maybe even all the costs associated with it.
As for getting shocked, I've been tazed a few times, when I was involved with law enforcement, as well as being an amateur "electroboom" so im not really scared to be shocked anymore
The side gig can be tricky as the goal is to not go into alot of debt to try and generate a small amount of money, there are 3 of us local that all work in the Aerospace industry together that are starting an aquaculture facility using a building I already own, and equipment that for the most part we have laying around and turning it into a small weekend LFS, and as well as a place for us to simply hangout and play with fish. Being that once our modifications are done to the building this fall we are in absolutely 0 debt for our shop. Our overhead will be extremely low, and as a result we can do things like QT all livestock, as well as have lower prices. Like I said in the beginning, the goal is only to generate money to help cover the hobby for the most part for each of us, and for the business to sustain itself as well as help it grow the hobby in our area, as it is rapidly expanding with extremely well paying jobs.
As a result of this, the better half doesn't question what I do hobby wise as much, and I hope to get her involved with it more as we move forward.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back