Are Midas Blenny's mean?

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding a Midas as my last fish, but Ive seen alot of posts about them being mean to other fish. I have 4 fish in my 40 breeder, a Clown, Banggai Cardinal, Royal Gramma, and Melanurus Wrasse. Ive had these 4 together for over a year and everyone gets along. Im kinda scared to add another fish.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ yup, grumpy but not mean. Mine will bite my arm if I didn't feed the fish yet and will chase other fish away from his hole but no true aggression. I have two clowns, pajama, Foxface, and a Mandarin with no issues. He's a cool fish, one of my favorites.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I just recently added to my tank and so far he hasn't been aggressive to any other fish. Hopefully he stays that way.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a pretty crowded 40g. 7 nano fish. My Blenny runs the tank. He's not agressive and doesn't go after any other fish but all the fish know it's his tank. A jerk, yes. Agressive, no... lol. I wouldn't worry about your Gramma, they can hold thier own.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my Melanurus Wrasse? Hes the biggest in the tank right now, at around 3 inches. My clown is pretty feisty, and hes the smallest fish in the tank, he bites the crap outta me when i put my hand in. Gramma has his own cave, and everytime the Melanurus Wrasse gets closes, hes open his mouth really wide, but the wrasse could care less, he just goes on his way looking for stuff in the rocks. My Banggai Cardinal never bothers anyone, and nobody bothers him either, just sits in one spot most of the day.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a pretty crowded 40g. 7 nano fish. My Blenny runs the tank. He's not agressive and doesn't go after any other fish but all the fish know it's his tank. A jerk, yes. Agressive, no... lol. I wouldn't worry about your Gramma, they can hold thier own.
Is yours a 40 breeder? what 7 fish do you have in it? I was thinking about 5 would be my max.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 gallon Innovative Marine. I have the Blenny, Clown, Pygmy Hawk, Mandarin, Azure Damsel, Orchid dottyback, and a sixline. It's a couple of years old so it's pretty established. My algae scrubber definitely helps with nutrient export, I'm actually trying to raise my nitrates a little. I can't get them higher than 5.
20210318_151103.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 gallon Innovative Marine. I have the Blenny, Clown, Pygmy Hawk, Mandarin, Azure Damsel, Orchid dottyback, and a sixline. It's a couple of years old so it's pretty established. My algae scrubber definitely helps with nutrient export, I'm actually trying to raise my nitrates a little. I can't get them higher than 5.
20210318_151103.jpg
Beautiful tank.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210318_151103.jpg
What are your settings on that Ocean Revive light? I used Brightwell neonitro to raise mine. I was at 0 fighting dino, holding at 10 now and dino is going away.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your settings on that Ocean Revive light? I used Brightwell neonitro to raise mine. I was at 0 fighting dino, holding at 10 now and dino is going away.
I run the blues at 40% for 8hrs and the whites on 5% for 4 hrs. Seems to be the sweet spot the corals like. I just started doing bi weekly water changes instead of weekly to see if they creep up a bit. I may stop running my skimmer 24/7 as well. As soon as my algae scrubber started producing, my nitrates dropped. It's not a bad problem. My Sps are loving it, but my Zoas are a little ticked. I'm just trying to find that sweet spot where all the coral are happy.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the blues at 40% for 8hrs and the whites on 5% for 4 hrs. Seems to be the sweet spot the corals like. I just started doing bi weekly water changes instead of weekly to see if they creep up a bit. I may stop running my skimmer 24/7 as well. As soon as my algae scrubber started producing, my nitrates dropped. It's not a bad problem. My Sps are loving it, but my Zoas are a little ticked. I'm just trying to find that sweet spot where all the coral are happy.
Nice, I have similar light over my 40 breeder, and I thought I was the only one that runs it kinda low. I only have my blues at 30% and whites at 2% but everything seems fine, and its growing. When my nitrates dropped all my zoas died.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was fine for somewhere btw 1-2 years then turned aggressive. Sent the royal gramma into hiding and would attack the clowns. I think he just wanted everyone to **** his side of the tank. I ended up getting rid of him because of it. Your mileage may vary.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back