Are my corals dead?

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, ive had this tank for about 2 months now and the fish seem to be doing great, as well as the 6 dwarf blue leg hermit crabs (they have only been here for 3 days), however I ordered zoas about a month ago and I am pretty sure they are dead. My parameters are all fine so I ordered a copper and gh test because that is the only thing I can think of. Alkalinity is around 120 mg/l ph 8.2 and all other values 0. I ordered a proper alkalinity test as this is of a test strip. I added a photo of the corals below I do not know if they are dead so J have not removed them. The gh and alkalinity test should be here tomorrow, copper should be in on friday. I tried giving them reef ab plus but it did not work lol.

1BD1DECD-03E6-4265-B944-3E4403FFD237.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of your other tests are zero including nitrates. If so that could be the issue you want 5-10 ppm nitrate in your tank. What are all your parameters? If you dont mind me asking that is. Can you list out please this will help with answering your question.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, ive had this tank for about 2 months now and the fish seem to be doing great, as well as the 6 dwarf blue leg hermit crabs (they have only been here for 3 days), however I ordered zoas about a month ago and I am pretty sure they are dead. My parameters are all fine so I ordered a copper and gh test because that is the only thing I can think of. Alkalinity is around 120 mg/l ph 8.2 and all other values 0. I ordered a proper alkalinity test as this is of a test strip. I added a photo of the corals below I do not know if they are dead so J have not removed them. The gh and alkalinity test should be here tomorrow, copper should be in on friday. I tried giving them reef ab plus but it did not work lol.

1BD1DECD-03E6-4265-B944-3E4403FFD237.jpeg
Pic is extremely blue to see anything and will need to be retaken under white lights
Assure nitrate-phosphate-temperature- salinity - ca and alk isn’t elevated

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 is extremely knowledgeable on this kind of stuff helps me all the time with questions. You got a good one commenting. NO NEED TO FEAR VETTEGUY IS HERE!!! Lol by the way thanks for all your help too.

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of your other tests are zero including nitrates. If so that could be the issue you want 5-10 ppm nitrate in your tank. What are all your parameters? If you dont mind me asking that is. Can you list out please this will help with answering your question.
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
120 alk mg/l
High Gh test strip, proper test comes tomorrow
The gh might be the issue im guessing, thats why I ordered the copper test and an actual gh test to know where im at.
But if there was copper my hermits would be dead? They have only been here for a week tho…

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
120 alk mg/l
The gh might be the issue im guessing, thats why I ordered the copper test and an actual gh test to know where im at.
But if there was copper my hermits would be dead? They have only been here for a week tho…
Salinity 1.024 I will take another pic give me a min I am a little busy

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like zoas. If so, they look closed. When zoas are dead they basically melt away.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is fully cycled? Weird how you are having no nitrates shown. Should have even the slightest reading. 0 nitrates isnt a good thing. Zoas love dirty water too so having 0 nitrates isnt helping at all.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
120 alk mg/l
Do you mean 120ppm alk? =6.7 dkh
Gh is (I think your saying) general hardness= alk

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
120 alk mg/l
White pic is needed. I see something in the blue pic, it looks alive but really hard to tell.
I don't believe copper is an issue.
Do need nitrates and some phosphates.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to feed? Like do you have fish in the tank? What food are you feeding them? What are you using for filtration?

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 yellowtail damsel, 6 dwarf blue leg hermit crab (only been for a week)

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a trusted lfs with accurate testing available near you. Might be good to take a sample in. This will help determine the route you need to go.

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food and po4 and no3 are not the same thing.
Alk is gh. This is where the confusion is.
I don't think so. Alk is KH or carbonate hardness and GH is general hardness. GH measures divalent metal ions (Ca and Mg) and KH specifically measures carbonates. You could have a non-carbonate source of Ca and Mg that would show up in GH but not KH. For example, my tap has about 3 dGH and 1.5 dKH. They're definitely different. For planted tanks you want low KH and medium GH.

An actual chemist would know the difference between the two better than me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back