OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait this is a dumb question but where does the output go in the tank since it won’t be drilled?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eveyones on point here for sure. I ran a PF 1200 from Eshopps on my old 90 reef. Worked very well. Just had to keep the hair algae out of the Utube as it reduces flow.

I second Jebao return pumps as that is something they seem to do right.

The new DCA series is what got for my new build, and seems to be a Varios by RO knockoff, and im fine with that, as thats the pump i wanted to begin with, but couldnt justify.

Only thing i wished i would of done, is setup a gate valve on one drain to dial in flow better. Either way that tank ran for a few years just fine. Simple Maintenance will keep you out of trouble.

I had my box all the way to the left, and my return all the way to the right.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a HOB on my 75g for over 5 years now with no issues at all. Same with the 1.5 year old 20g in my workshop. Flex tubing for the drain, stockman standpipe to quiet it down and a pump with an adjustable flow rate and you're set. The overflow box and U-tube do need to be cleaned once and a while ( twice a year for me ), but it's no biggie and it only takes me about 30 min to remove clean and reinstall.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so but does it come with the overflow box or do I buy that seperately?
They might make kits.. but I see separately they appear to be cheap. I do not personally own one though, this is just from quick searches.

Screenshot (152).png

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might make kits.. but I see separately they appear to be cheap. I do not personally own one though, this is just from quick searches.

Screenshot (152).png
This is what I'm using on my tank. You can see it on the right. I drilled a hole in the tube just under the water line so that the siphon will break when I do a water change. But, in case the hole gets clogged for any reason I pointed the nozzle up so that's a back up siphon break so the sump won't over flow.
O5bRZ6wl.jpg

Use silicone tubing instead of the nylon they sell in the lfs for your return. The silicone doesn't kink like the nylon stuff and can make sharper bends.
8coQLUjl.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to consider adding a sump to my 45 cube reef because the maintenance on a canister is starting to get annoying. But the problem is I can’t drill the tank because it’s up and running. Are overflow boxes a reliable option?
Get you a Lifereef OF. They do not have one single failure due to leak or loss of siphon in the 30 sum years they have been making them.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Skimz overflow on my frag tank with an aqualifter pump on the syphon to keep it running at a steady rate but will never fully trust it. I wouldn’t run one again and only have this time because I found a canister filter was nowhere near good enough for it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any HOB overflow that relies on an external pump like an Aqualifter to maintain the siphon is a poor design. Seems like it’s similar in principle to the poorly designed CPR HOB overflow that also requires an Aqualifter to operate. Stick with the traditional U-tube HOB overflow design. They are more reliable, simply using gravity to maintain a siphon... no external pump needed.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size?
Either the single or single slimline. Depending on how much space you have where your gonna mount it between your tank and wall. They have a chart with recommendations. I wouldnt get the super slim unless you absolutely have to. Only reason why is cause you cant install their silencer on it if you want. They also carry the return j pipe that you will need for your water going back into the tank.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Yes mine has been extremely reliable. I use one what i can hook up a Toms aqua lifter pump and it always has a strong siphon.
PXL_20201012_202221832.jpg

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better Marine depot or Eshopps HOB overflow?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better Marine depot or Eshopps HOB overflow?

When looking at the Eshopps PF-300 and the Marine Depot OF-300, I wouldn’t be shocked if they were both manufactured at the exact same factory in China. Remember, if you go this route, get rid of the black sponge prefilter and replace it with a Stockman standpipe.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a eshopps style you can rest easy-I have seen 10x more drilled tanks, if not more, flood before a proper hang on failure. However if you get a CPR style-anything without a round siphon-or anything that needs a lift pump to keep air out of siphon-you have a ticking time bomb. For tank failure-the ranking is, CPR style last, drilled tank second, and eshopps style the winner. This is with actual experience with thousands of tanks-which may be different than the internet experience some may use.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use the marine depot OF-300 (2+ months) and am happy with the product. I think it is manufactured on the same line as the Eshopps one.

I would go drilled for my next tank only because it is a cleaner look, not because of reliability.

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the marine depot OF-300 (2+ months) and am happy with the product. I think it is manufactured on the same line as the Eshopps one.

I would go drilled for my next tank only because it is a cleaner look, not because of reliability.
Got it. I’ll think i’ll go for the the marine depot one. Do I have to break the siphon to do water changes?

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here’s my list. Let me know if anything sounds wrong:
Skimmer: Curve 5
Pump: Jebao DCP 4000
Sump: 10 gallon with custom inserts
Hob Overflow: Marine depot OF300
Plumbing: TBD but soft plumbing(never plumbed a tank so need help)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back