Are overflow boxes reliable?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safer to just stick with a canister? If so any way to optimize it so I don’t have to clean as often? And also is there a better canister anyone recommends maybe with a heater in it?
There is one brand of canister that has an integrated/replaceable heater and a superbly designed and removeable pre-filter. The pre-filter is removeable for cleaning without opening the main canister. I currently have five of them and love them.
Oase Biomaster Thermo 600 or 850.

I personally recommend nothing smaller than the 600 for saltwater, unless you just don't have room for the height.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant figure out how to plumb my return pump with my overflow, do you mind pm me a picture of your plumbing??
Keep the single drain from your PF800 overflow box down to your sump wide open without restriction. Put a ball valve on the line from your return pump up to your tank to regulate and adjust return flow. Remove the prefilter sponge (which is very prone to clogging) in the overflow box and replace it with a Stockman standpipe. The Stockman standpipe serves to both avoid clogs and quiet the overflow box gurgling noise from single drain set ups.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the single drain from your PF800 overflow box down to your sump wide open without restriction. Put a ball valve on the line from your return pump up to your tank to regulate and adjust return flow. Remove the prefilter sponge (which is very prone to clogging) in the overflow box and replace it with a Stockman standpipe. The Stockman standpipe serves to both avoid clogs and quiet the overflow box gurgling noise from single drain set ups.

Do you have a picture of this, on your tank?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of this, on your tank?

I ran this set up for over 10 years on my old 75 gallon tank in the late 90s and early 2000s. I do not have any pictures of my old plumbing set up for you unfortunately. However, before you set your system up, please read the entirety of this thread. There are many tips from people who have successfully run HOB overflow set ups over the years that you should find very helpful.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back