Are peppermint shrimp reef safe?

Discussion in 'General Invert Forum' started by Fish_Tank_J, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J Member

Today when I woke up I saw that my peppermint shrimp was on my new elegance coral I got last night and seemed to be eating it what should I do.

Tags:

2. John3

John3 Active Member

I think a lot of shrimp get a bad rap. I think they only eat coral flesh that is already dying. Believe it or not in those cases the shrimp may save the coral by eating dead tissue and stopping it from spreading.

I think most people see a shrimp on a coral with missing tissue and assume the shrimp ate it but in reality the shrimp is just cleaning up dying flesh.

The one thing shrimp will do which I think will cause damage is stealing food from a coral. They may tear at the corals flesh causing cuts when pulling food out of a corals mouth.

At this point you can only put some kind of physical barrier over the coral because the shrimp is not going to leave dying no flesh alone. Not sure if that is feasible. If you do go that rout you should probably do a iodine dip to help in the area with the eaten flesh.

3. pdisner

pdisner Active Member

I raise these little guys and I assure you that they don’t eat corals. They will eat aiptasia. They are cleaners so they will pick at things around the aquarium. Of course there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. Just keep an eye on him. Any questions, send me a PM

4. Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J Member

Thank you for the help. I have been watching him and he seems to be fine. I was just a little alarmed at first.

Draft saved Draft deleted