Are Radiata lions much more difficult?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lionfish and after rehoming my huge Volitan I want a medium lion. I had a Mombasa for several years until a velvet outbreak killed most of my fish.

I can't seem to get an antenatta shipped to me (saltwaterfish.com is abhorrent) alive, but another very good retailer has a radiata. I know they can be tough to get eating, but I have a reliable source of guppies /ghosties/mollies until I can supplement with stick feeding.

After you get past that hurdle, are they as good as the others? I plan on keeping him in a QT alone until he is eating so there is no competition.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiata's and antennata's are very similar in care imo, but most smaller lion species are much more nocturnal than a volitans, so it takes a lot more time to get them to trust you/come out during the day.
I usually feed later in the day anyway. My porcupine's new thing is eating at dusk only.

My fuzzies have always been right at the top begging!

mark_craciun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love lionfish and after rehoming my huge Volitan I want a medium lion. I had a Mombasa for several years until a velvet outbreak killed most of my fish.

I can't seem to get an antenatta shipped to me (saltwaterfish.com is abhorrent) alive, but another very good retailer has a radiata. I know they can be tough to get eating, but I have a reliable source of guppies /ghosties/mollies until I can supplement with stick feeding.

After you get past that hurdle, are they as good as the others? I plan on keeping him in a QT alone until he is eating so there is no competition.
I have gotten 5 Antenetta's shipped to me in the last month. 4 from saltwaterfish.com, 1 from another retailer. 1 DOA, 1 almost DOA (died within an hour) and 3 lasted overnight only to die the next day. I don't get it?
I currently have 2 fuzzies and 3 zebras. All eating frozen foods in less than a week. Everyone gets along great. I'm probably gonna try a radiata next or if I ever come across a Mombasa, I may try one of those. I just think its impossible for an Antenetta to survive shipping.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten 5 Antenetta's shipped to me in the last month. 4 from saltwaterfish.com, 1 from another retailer. 1 DOA, 1 almost DOA (died within an hour) and 3 lasted overnight only to die the next day. I don't get it?
I currently have 2 fuzzies and 3 zebras. All eating frozen foods in less than a week. Everyone gets along great. I'm probably gonna try a radiata next or if I ever come across a Mombasa, I may try one of those. I just think its impossible for an Antenetta to survive shipping.
My God, that's heartbreaking, but I had the same experience. I'm devistated when I open the box and find a dead beautiful fish.

First off, saltwaterfish.com straight up sucks. They can't ship fish, not just lions. I've probably placed 8 orders, and had 1 success. I had the same problem with lions. They were either DOA (I think 3 times) or they wouldn't eat and died the next day.

I have had better luck with Live Aquaria. I had 2 shipped to me, both alive but both (1 radiata and 1 antenatta) died in a week. The radiata was stunning.

A LFS (not too local, 60 miles away) had an antenatta a couple weeks ago. I asked how long they had it. It was 3 weeks so I jumped on it. I've had him 2 weeks and he's doing great. Hopefully he is a keeper.

They don't ship well so if you find one that has been in a store for a few weeks, great. I had a Mombasa for 4 years. Great fish. I would love a radiata if it was over the shipping stress.

Attachments

• VID20230129184654.mp4
    39.5 MB
  • VID20230127181906.mp4
    17.1 MB

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you ever wind up getting that lionfish? I’m in almost the exact same situation. I’m deciding between a zebra and a radiata. I love the look of the radiata but I keep hearing that they are harder to keep? Is it just that they are harder to get to ship alive but if they arrive alive you’re in the clear? Either way I’d be planning to have one shipped to me

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey did you ever wind up getting that lionfish? I’m in almost the exact same situation. I’m deciding between a zebra and a radiata. I love the look of the radiata but I keep hearing that they are harder to keep? Is it just that they are harder to get to ship alive but if they arrive alive you’re in the clear? Either way I’d be planning to have one shipped to me

It pains me to say that I went through several lionfish. Antennas mostly. It's really heartbreaking to open up a shipping box and find a dead fish. I take it hard whenever a fish dies in my care (that includes shipping DOA). My opinion, don't EVER buy from saltwaterfish.com.

I only tried one radiata, from live aquaria. It showed up alive, but it never ate and died 3 days later. It's really striking in person, but it seems like the medium lions don't ship well.

I was ready to give up, but a LFS (not too local, but it's an in person store) put their stock list on FB. It said they had a medium Antenatta. I called them and they said he was there for a couple weeks. I drove out there and bought him. If he already survived the shipping I wanted him.

I got him 6 months ago, he was in his own tank until a few weeks ago (I had an ick outbreak in the DT) but he's doing good in the DT now. I stick trained him for frozen food. He's eating live and frozen in the DT. He has eaten out of the water column in his own tank, but he hasn't done it yet since I moved him. He perches most of the day in his preferred cave. I'm hoping he learns the lighting schedule, if not I'll manually feed him.

I had a Mombasa for a few years that was great (I think antenna and Mombasa are very close). Sorry for the poor picture.

Attachments

• IMG20230629184701.jpg
    IMG20230629184701.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 24

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed answer. Shipping seems to be the biggest hurdle. I had a Mombasa for about 24 hours I picked up at a LFS that died of an infection. They told me they really have a tough time with the Mombasas and Radiatas, even at their store, and recommended I look for a Zebra/fuzzy dwarf. I’d love a Radiata but I keep hearing a lot of the same about getting them to survive the shipping process. I even have live shrimp readily available so that is not the issue, it is the shipping stress

Back