Observational QT for lions, eels, etc.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times I'm inspired to write threads by what I've read in other post here, I was going to do a thread on ammonia, but decide to expand it to a more complete guide on an observational qt, IMO. I do strongly believe in a qt for lions, eels, and other predatory fish I often refer to. These species many times come in with internal parasites and need to be initially fed live food. The qt will serve not only to assure health but to establish a feeding regime that can sometimes be difficult to establish in a dt.

SET UP; a small lion, scorp, or angler would be just fine in a 10g. Eels will do better in something longer like a 20l. Filtration is paramount, this is the failure of many qts, even those not focusing on predatory fish. While a sponge filter may work, I highly suggest a small hob filter filled with biomedia like Seachem matrix. Because this is an observational qt, some rock woukd be fine and is good to create caves and perching spots. Calculate actual water volume in case you need to treat with general cure or prazipro. I run my observational like a smaller version of my display, making them comfortable and less stressed will contribute to a better outcome. This is an observational qt not a hospital tank, so if meds like an antibiotic is require the rock and any substrate must be removed or the fish will have to moved to an actual hospital tank.

AMMONIA, this is why it is very impotant to have a fully cycled tank with an abundance of biomedia even including rock. A sponge filter likely will not be able to handle the ammonia spikes produced by the ammonia spike due to elimination. Just as they guys gorge their meals, meaning large meals all at once, they also produce a large amount of waste all at once. I have known many times a fish coming in eating good, fed a good meal, then a couple of days later, dead out of the blue. When the fish eliminated it produced such a high ammonia spike the filter couldn't handle it, and it killed the fish. This is a very common mistake so many people make with their qts. An inadequate filter may eliminate enough ammonia as not to immediately kill the fish, but prolonged lower levels of ammonia will eventually kill them. This lower level of ammonia also weakens the fish and allows other issues to surface. If you are concerned, daily testing for ammonia is not a bad idea, and immediate action taken even with a trace of ammonia, through water changes.

GENERAL CURE and PRAZIPRO; while I do an observation and only treat when necessary, these meds are safe to use prophylactically. Internal parasites and even flukes can be a common occurrence, so be prepared. This is where the calculation of water volume comes in handy, you want to dose these meds to water volume, not tank size. These meds have been proven to safe as long as they are dosed properly. Aeration and proper dosage are the main 2 points. I have seen some species of scorps, the rhino and yellow spot, as well as anglers react negatively to a full dose, initially. These were fish that had to be treated and their reaction could also be influenced by their illness. I found them to handle the meds by splitting the dose into 3rds and administering it over 12-24 hours. If after offering the appropriate live foods and they refuse to eat, I start general no longer than 24 hrs later. The longer you wait, the more your chances of success decline. While general cure does contain praziquental, I have found prazipro be more effective for flukes.

PROTOZOAN diseases, ich or velvet. If you get a healthy lion, eating well, then honestly, you should have no concern over protozoan disease. Lions and scorps have a super slime coating that will shed off when attacked by a protozoan disease, if they are healthy in good water conditions, this should not be a concern. And eels are even more resistant. If you visually see the indicators of a protozoan disease you better act very quickly or it will be too late. Once a visual sign has presented itself, the fish is likely already in a state of poor health, and the outcome many times is not good. These diseases are hard to see on many scorps and anglers because of the texture of their skin. Even though to this very day i still get push back from the disease forum on using copper on these species, all I have to say is "good luck". If you spot visual clues or are overly concerned of spreading a protozoan disease to your display, then hyposalinity is a good option. This will not handle velvet but will handle ich, honestly if it's velvet and you see it, it's likely too late. There's a sticky in the disease forum on hyposalinity. Be AWARE that your water quality will suffer when placed in hypo, the diversity of the bacteria will die off in a lower salinity. I strongly suggest daily if not bi-daily ammonia test. I have transferred lions, scorps, and eels from tanks with protazoan diseases and none of them were ever affected. Mind you this has to be immediately, and I do mean immediately.

ACTION and HONESTY, you would be surprised how many times I've responded to individuals and find them still discussing it days later in the disease forum. I have literally recommended treatment with general cure for a lion not eating and find days later them having a discussion with people recommending garlic. Individuals also need to be complete in their description of the situation. I have literally had people ask for help and it takes several post to even find out the tank is in hyposalinity, or they are not forthcoming about copper treatment. You are what you eat, yes feeding rosies or a dominant krill diet does make a difference.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably already covered this but I don't feel like reading my own words. Besides insuring the health of your fish a very important aspect of having a qt for a lion, etc; is to establish a feeding routine. This is very important and not to be overlooked. These fish have specialized feeding requirements, whether it be live food or target feeding, it takes a while for them to recognize the food you are feeding and get accustomed to captive living. In the case of feeding live, using a smaller environment allows you to keep track of the food you feeding and make sure they are eating. It also gives you the experience of feeding them and how to get them food, some will be attack dogs while some you will have to baby, even herding their food for them to catch. In the case of eels and others you are incorporating target feeding, they need to get used to this, learning that that's how they get food. In some cases feeding dead food can be a real test in patience, sometimes failing for many lions, scorps, etc. They need to get into a strong routine of recognizing the food you feeding, recognizing you, and recognizing the vehicle you using to offer them the food. Using tongs, a feeding stick, a pipette or baster. Then once they are in the display, they will recognize you and the feeding routine. Many have desperately regretting putting these types of predators directly into a display, once being in the display then never being able to establish a feeding routine. Sometimes it's harder to get them the food in a larger tank, and sometimes it has to do with tankmates.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OSMODIC SHOCK, an invisible and often unknown cause of death. If you are putting your lion/scorp into a reef at a sg of 1.025, I will go out on a limb and say you'll likely be receiving your fish in water closer to 1.020. I have tested as low as 1.017. If you raise the sg too quickly or more than .002 all at once, there is a high chance of osmodic shock and death within 24-48 hrs. It is best to have a qt tank that you can adjust the tank to match the sg in the bag. Testing the sg in the bag is a necessary thing in my opinion, and anything over a .002 sg rise needs an extended acclimation, as long as 2 hrs.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back