Are Red Sea Reefers... really worth it...?

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read it all. The fact that they began releasing bigger tanks before addressing current failures concerns me. And that they had to be called out before they began to address current issues is somewhat shady. Once I lose faith in a company, its hard to earn my trust again.

Talk to some members who actually had issues. Ask them how things went and their experience. They will explain the battle. Its just a warning. Take it for what its worth.
That is wholly incorrect. Only the 750 had an upgraded brace added to it and that was 2 or 3 years ago. From what I have observed, almost all other failures are on used tanks. I can only imagine the aggressive scraping done to them. All have immaculate edges. Mine looks like it is framed in coralline but I know better than to go at it with a jackhammer.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own but I'm going with glass cages when it comes time to go to my 6 or 8 foot tank upgrade. The red sea stuff looks great but reality is you can have a pretty much identical setup for half their msrp with pretty minimal leg work.

No hate to anyone that gets one, they look good. I just would rather save a $1500 to spend on more corals.

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they represent a really good value. Take the new Reefer S for example....The cost of an aluminum stand, 3/4 low iron glass tank with smoked eurobrace, glass sump, plumbing, and the cabinet would cost similar money if not more to piece together separately. Sure you could build a wood stand and cabinet (which still isnt cheap) but most average people wont be able to get the same smooth modern finish as companies like Red Sea, waterbox etc. Those aluminum stands alone cost alot of money. Add on top off all that included shipping and it really becomes a good value in my opinion.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a Red Sea reefer.

Came all in one ready to use. Glass is nice and when guest come over they are amazed that fish tanks look like this.

This hobby you pay to play. It’s really up to your budget. If moneys not an issue then roll the dice. I got mine used for $500 cheaper than retail

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I'm getting a Waterbox peninsula and I tried to get the same exact tank with the stand custom made to see if I can save money and I'm being quoted about $1900-2100 for the tank excluding the sump and pipes...

Sometimes custom-made isnt always cheaper...

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not for me. The tanks are nice, but overpriced for a mass-produced chinese manufactured tank in my opinion. The packages are a joke as well because the red sea reef lighting is absolutely trash.

Glass Cages every time.

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not for me. The tanks are nice, but overpriced for a mass-produced chinese manufactured tank in my opinion. The packages are a joke as well because the red sea reef lighting is absolutely trash.

Glass Cages every time.
I cant comment on the lighting, since I've never used them. But I dont think they are overpriced just because they are expensive. Being mass produced is how they can make the systems "affordable" and cover shipping. Glass cages are great tanks too but price in the same size custom tank, with armor seams, and low iron, add an aluminum stand, plumbing, sump, professional cabinet, and shipping and compare apples to apples. I was originally going to go the custom route but between the cost savings and time savings (building the stand/cabinet) I decided to go Red Sea.

I know this is for a larger size but to compare I got a quote for a 8' tank with smoked eurobracing (3/8" brace not 3/4" like RS) and it was $5681. The Reefer S-1000 (7') I ordered was $6000. Yes the Red Sea is smaller but the brace is thicker, and everything else is included.

I think both options have their pros and cons but I really dont feel they are overpriced....expensive and overpriced are 2 different things.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glass Cages every time.
@amoore311 Thanks for the mention and support. Very proud of the team and what they have achieved.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I'm getting a Waterbox peninsula and I tried to get the same exact tank with the stand custom made to see if I can save money and I'm being quoted about $1900-2100 for the tank excluding the sump and pipes...

Sometimes custom-made isnt always cheaper...
Custom made is never cheaper lol.. you pay up to 2x for custom because of the build quality and attention to detail that you don't get from mass production out of some factory in china. Nothing wrong with getting a prefabbed tank, they work and are cheaper but they can't compare to getting a tank from RS, C2C, Miracles etc. which are practically works of art

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made in China really doesn’t mean cheap quality. They do produce tons of junk but it’s up to manufacturers to set quality standards and source materials.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I am a big Red Sea fan...I've had two and have never had one single problem. I love the look and will continue to buy from them. I love the new sump design on them mainly, and the reinforced frame.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a reefer 750 2 years ago. At the time I really wanted a complete custom job. I sold custom glass tanks from crystal dynamics, leemar, and visio when I worked at the LFS and they were just so much better than Aqueon and Marineland. I also needed a better stand for my wife to be happy.

I got a quote on a custom 180 with low iron glass plus a stand and canopy just how I liked it and the quote was 2,000 for the tank 3,500 for the stand and canopy. You can get a reefer 750 today for 4,000 and it comes with a sump and plumbing. In the end even though the reefer wasn't exactly what I wanted the value was clear to me. I got a reefer and had a floating canopy custom made for $750 this gave me more budget for the rest of the system.

RedSea is affordable luxury. It is there to make you feel like you have a custom set up but with a few things missing. It is not made to compete with common aquariums or used setups.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll step in with the obligatory:

"I'm sure you're posting this from your American made device."
Different sectors where a failure doesn't result in 10+k in water damage and potential for bodily injury. Phones don't need to have the same QC, half of each die could be fried and they would still turn a profit and it's very apparent when a chip has problems which can't be said for aquariums. I can also tell you all the major pieces of IP for the phone I use is made in America :)

Back