Are sales down at LFS in your area?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if this is an industry thing - especially for corals

My LFS people seem sour and I’m not really seeing much new stock on the corals either

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been this way for at least a year in retail sales. The better shops do better, of course. If you ask any of them, they shrug their shoulder and mumble some something along the lines of meh.

Most of them are living on their maintenance accounts right now. Nearly all hobbies are down from COVID peak.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure they are.
The North American economy has been stressed for 4 years now.
Saltwater tanks are a luxury hobby and they are always the first things to go when times get tough.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people are leaving the hobby in my area, even 10+ year Reefers. I also notice more of the big vendors doing swaps again. Not sure if it is because of a lack of online sales, or just to get out though.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

Aquastudios has quite a vibe lately. Less people working, owner seems stressed and curt
No kidding? The long hair blonde guy is always pretty blunt and aloof but have been there a couple times the last month and the owner always seems jovial

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hobbyists around me are holding on. Colorado is one of the higher income areas that I have lived in, so that might help with hobbies. Not a lot of folks getting out yet, but I would not be shocked if it is coming soon. Several of the basement fragger/sellers around me shut down their websites and got jobs again and stuff - just sell word of mouth and to repeat customers on occasion.

When you are at your lfs, just ask them if business is OK since you are hearing that things are slowing down. See how they answer. I hope that some areas are doing well.

If you area has GOOD equipment flooding craigslist and marketplaces, then you things are bad. I am talking like best-of-breed skimmers, Tunze stuff (not ATOs), holy-grail lighting (like m80 ballasts and Gieseman fixtures) and stuff like that - the stuff that nobody gets rid of. There is always AquaMaxx skimmers, mp10s, kessils and that kind of stuff out there. I have not seen this yet.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 stores we frequent are doing great. I think the pandemic gave home hobbies a leg up, at least in our area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back