Are sebae clowns really that rare?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time has come... the inevitable moment in the reefing career where your family demands a clownfish. My lfs got what I can pretty confidently say are true sebae clowns, and I've been told over and over again that they are rare fish. Is that true? They are selling for only 25CAD per. Is it worth getting them?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The time has come... the inevitable moment in the reefing career where your family demands a clownfish. My lfs got what I can pretty confidently say are true sebae clowns, and I've been told over and over again that they are rare fish. Is that true? They are selling for only 25CAD per. Is it worth getting them?
Sebaes are my favorite, and I have a mated pair. IMO it isn't so much that they are rare, but rather their availability in the hobby is (somewhat) comparatively rare. Despite popular misconception, true Sebae clowns are not in the Clarkii complex, but rather Saddleback; and neither are the clown du jour. Anyway, they will spawn regularly in home aquaria, and the fry are easy enough to rear; but people will breed and sell what is in demand.

Is it worth getting them? My opinion is likely biased, but yes- absolutely. They are absolutely beautiful specimens unlike their more mundane cousins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sebaes are my favorite, and I have a mated pair. IMO it isn't so much that they are rare, but rather their availability on the hobby is (somewhat) comparatively rare. Despite popular misconception, true Sebae clowns are not in the Clarkii complex, but rather Saddleback; and neither are the clown du jour. Anyway, they will spawn regularly in home aquaria, and the fry are easy enough to rear; but people will breed and sell what is in demand.

Is it worth getting them? My opinion is likely biased, but yes- absolutely. They are absolutely beautiful specimens unlike their more mundane cousins.
Are they vicious murderers like all other clowns or are they relatively nice fish?
I run an 80 gal, but I don't want two little clowns to scare everyone into hiding or even murder some of the fish. I don't think sebaes bond to bubbletips but I have euphyllids they might like, and I've heard that clowns get even more vicious when they have territories.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they vicious murderers like all other clowns or are they relatively nice fish?
I run an 80 gal, but I don't want two little clowns to scare everyone into hiding or even murder some of the fish. I don't think sebaes bond to bubbletips but I have euphyllids they might like, and I've heard that clowns get even more vicious when they have territories.
Like all damsels, they are aggressive. Nowhere near Maroon or Tomato, but they will attack you. Given their size, they can (and will) draw blood, too. All specimens are individual, so I won't attempt to predict behavior, but I can tell you that mine aren't too bad. They are territorial, and will harass new additions for the first day, but then chill out again. I would reccomend adding a pair of yellow tail blue damsels or green chromis. They will draw and break up the clowns' aggression so they leave your others alone. That was my approach and it has worked perfectly. I will add, as-well, that everyone is still alive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all damsels, they are aggressive. Nowhere near Maroon or Tomato, but they will attack you. Given their size, they can (and will) draw blood, too. All specimens are individual, so I won't attempt to predict behavior, but I can tell you that mine aren't too bad. They are territorial, and will harass new additions for the first day, but then chill out again. I would reccomend adding a pair of yellow tail blue damsels or green chromis. They will draw and break up the clowns' aggression so they leave your others alone. That was my approach and it has worked perfectly.
I'm pretty close to my fish cap so clowns are about all I can get, so if I'm going to get them it's just gonna be praying for the best I guess. No more room for chromises, and they did just come in yesterday with the risk of uronema.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty close to my fish cap so clowns are about all I can get, so if I'm going to get them it's just gonna be praying for the best I guess. No more room for chromises, and they did just come in yesterday with the risk of uronema.
If you are at or near your cap, then I wouldn't add anything aside from the clowns. Also, if they just came in yesterday, I would watch for Brook more so than Uronema. Though, both are a possibility. Do you QT? Can you reserve them with your LFS until they finish treatment?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are at or near your cap, then I wouldn't add anything aside from the clowns. Also, if they just came in yesterday, I would watch for Brook more so than Uronema. Though both are a possibility. Do you QT? Can you reserve them with your LFS until they finish treatment?
oh the clowns have been here a while, since last week I'd guess. it's the chromises that are new. I can't qt and the LFS' hold schedule just doesn't work(pick up on the fifth day... I can only go on weekends unless it's a holiday or long weekend), so either I get them now or I wait a few more weeks.
They're in the nem tank with a carpet and some bta, but haven't hosted anything yet.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh the clowns have been here a while, since last week I'd guess. it's the chromises that are new. I can't qt and the LFS' hold schedule just doesn't work(pick up on the fifth day... I can only go on weekends unless it's a holiday or long weekend), so either I get them now or I wait a few more weeks.
They're in the nem tank with a carpet and some bta, but haven't hosted anything yet.
If it were me, I'd get them and give them a FW dip and hydroplex bath. Standard disclaimer: know though, that there are risks associated without QT.

As for the nems, two things:

1) Verbiage matters. Clownfish do not "host" an anemone, they accept it or pair with it.

2) IME, Sebae Clowns will accept BTAs. Again, individual mileage may vary.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd get them and give them a FW dip and hydroplex bath. Standard disclaimer: know though, that there are risks associated without QT.

As for the nems, two things:

1) Verbiage matters. Clownfish do not "host" an anemone, they accept it or pair with it.

2) IME, Sebae Clowns will accept BTAs. Again, individual mileage may vary.
Gonna let my mom take the wheel then, see wherever this goes.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is it recommended to get two or a single one? I'm quite afraid of having more than one, but breeding them would be fun...
That's up to you. I prefer them in pairs. If you plan on raising fry, you'll need to set up a brood tank and culture rotifers. They will spawn regularly, but the fey will just become food for your system. There are a number of threads that can help you with that here.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's up to you. I prefer them in pairs. If you plan on raising fry, you'll need to set up a brood tank and culture rotifers. They will spawn regularly, but the fey will just become food for your system. There are a number of threads that can help you with that here.
Any excuse to set up a new tank is good, maybe I'll even use it for qt after I'm done with it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back