Are Skimmers a necessity?

Just curious how many of you believe a skimmer is a necessity? If so why? If not ...why not?

• Total voters

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. It really depends on your style of reefing and care of the tank along with natural filtration methods and nutrient uptake. Tank size matters as well i imagine. It can be needed and utilized but also not be needed for others. I personally do not use one because I rely on nutrients as the base of my ecosystem. The skimmer pulls way to much out leaving lack for the system. Others may find that they have too much nutrients and need the skimmer to pull the excess out. All on how you reef I suppose.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly they are not absolutely necessary, heck people have been successful keeping reefs in cookie jars for a decade plus so just about anything is possible, but it depends so much on the system, how many fish do you want, what types of coral and how many. Overall I don’t see many flourishing acro centric tank with a large fish load that are skimmerless. I’m sure they exist but are not the norm. In the realm of reefing skimmers last a long time if using a decent pump, have a low operating cost of generally 20-30w for a good sized skimmer and the cost over time for what they do and remove is a bargain.

again sure you can find examples of not running them and great tanks, and you can decide to not run one but don’t put blinders on - realize you might have other challenges due to no skimmer and be ready to address those, and if things are not working out it’s ok to add one and admit it didn’t work. I myself have tried a few times to go skimmerless. Worked fine in smaller tanks and non acro heavy tanks, but I was never able to color acros up (some did of course) or get the robustness I was after especially with large fish load. Your tank goals and expectations are probably different than mine and that’s fine. I have a softie only tank now after tiring of the headache of sps fwiw

nickg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads are very bad for our hobby!

While protein skimmers may not be an absolute necessary for a successful saltwater aquarium, most beginner & intermediate aquarists will need one to get started to understand the fundamentals of a successful reef.
Couldn’t agree more! Skimmers make stabilization MUCH EASIER!!

nickg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional comment, I would say on a mixed reef, skimmer is more important than any other filtration! Just my opinion. Refugium can even strip out to much nutrients for a reef. A GOOD skimmer pulls out the real WASTE!

just my $.02

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While protein skimmers may not be an absolute necessary for a successful saltwater aquarium, most beginner & intermediate aquarists will need one to get started to understand the fundamentals of a successful reef.
Why?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What a strange thing to say! Have you tried it both ways and encountered problems when you didn't use a skimmer?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why do you NEED a skimmer? Skimming is mainly just a easier form of nutrient export. Most skimmers are ran inefficiently anyway... regular wc's can do the job just fine in place of a skimmer.

I've ran more than a few tanks without one with no issues. Currently running my 50g cube and the skimmer hasn't been on since August. Got lazy and never drained the cup, recently checked n&p and I'm nearly bottomed out and only are changing 10% water every 2 weeks. Stocked with 5 fish, tons of pods and softies/zoa's.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what you said in your previous post, “I’m pretty much over them. Hardly a necessity.”

You used one, understand how it works, (hopefully understand reef chemistry now), and made a conscious decision NOT to use one.

Sometimes it’s the journey that makes us smarter and better reefers!!!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you NEED a skimmer? Skimming is mainly just a easier form of nutrient export. Most skimmers are ran inefficiently anyway... regular wc's can do the job just fine in place of a skimmer.

I've ran more than a few tanks without one with no issues. Currently running my 50g cube and the skimmer hasn't been on since August. Got lazy and never drained the cup, recently checked n&p and I'm nearly bottomed out and only are changing 10% water every 2 weeks. Stocked with 5 fish, tons of pods and softies/zoa's.

See my previous post about the journey!

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said no and this is my tank that hasn't had a skimmer for over a year.
PXL_20221112_231655104.jpg

It entirely depends on the demands of the system. My tank is a 40 breeder, I have 5 fish. My filtration is nylon socks and occasionally I will put in some carbon. I feed regularly, do a 10% water change once a month and I never get any detectable nitrates or phosphates. At this point I've even stopped changing my socks unless they start over flowing. A skimmer for me would this be counter productive.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what you said in your previous post, “I’m pretty much over them. Hardly a necessity.”

You used one, understand how it works, (hopefully understand reef chemistry now), and made a conscious decision NOT to use one.

Sometimes it’s the journey that makes us smarter and better reefers!!!
You can understand reef chemistry and how a system operates on an ecological level without using a piece of equipment you don’t need.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a strange thing to say! Have you tried it both ways and encountered problems when you didn't use a skimmer?
I have tried both methods and really like my skimmer because I run my CO2 scrubber through it to keep a high pH (dual benefit). I much prefer this than running kalk which I also tried but was a PIA. My point is that it’s the learning journey that’s important with reefing.

How many new people have joined R2R in the last 6 months? What do they think when they see threads titled “Are skimmers a Necessity”? How many may think this a way they can save some money, or is this a shortcut method to nutrient export, or maybe I don’t need a nutrient export, etc.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can understand reef chemistry and how a system operates on an ecological level without using a piece of equipment you don’t need.
100% Agreed! Unfortunately how many reefers take shortcuts???

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not. Proof. I have 2 tanks. I wish skimmer and sump and one with just HOB filter. The one with just filter no sump I can’t even keep nitrates and phos up to detectable levels wher I struggle to lower nutrients in my other tank with skimmer and sump and all the other equipment.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much over them. Hardly a necessity.
For the systems you create and maintain I can see how you would want to use different options, since your clients may be mostly "hands off". When I mentioned there are other ways to achieve what a skimmer would do, but why would you want to? Yours is/may be one of the reasons.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many of you believe a skimmer is a necessity?
If so why? If not ...why not?
No, I don’t use them. I also don’t don’t see the point in removing all the food I’m so diligently adding. As far as nutrient reduction, I have trouble having enough nutrients, so I definitely don’t want any exported! As far as gas exchange, I use an air pump and airstone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back