Are Skimmers a necessity?

Just curious how many of you believe a skimmer is a necessity? If so why? If not ...why not?

• Total voters

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Yes!
Why? Because your tank is a toilet and your skimmer is a very nice cleaning person that doesn’t mind cleaning your toilet. And as a bonus your skimmer will throw in gas exchange and raise your PH for free.
Yes there are other ways to "NOT" have a skimmer, but why? Why would you make your life purposely difficult.

OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Yes!
Why? Because your tank is a toilet and your skimmer is a very nice cleaning person that doesn’t mind cleaning your toilet. And as a bonus your skimmer will throw in gas exchange and raise your PH for free.
Yes there are other ways to "NOT" have a skimmer, but why? Why would you make your life purposely difficult.
So, everyone cleans their toilet differently... to the same end so to speak :p
What if one chooses a different export system and gas exchange system?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Yes!
Skimmers can be great, but let's not forget that they also remove pelagic bacteria that sps corals eat, often smell bad, are often loud, and require maintenance. I have run tanks with and without over the years, but I'm not sold on the idea that they are essential, or even really make things easier. Right now I'm running three skimmerless reefs.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, everyone cleans their toilet differently... to the same end so to speak :p
What if one chooses a different export system and gas exchange system?
That's fine, I just haven’t seen another method that I feel impressed me more.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I don't prefer starting tanks off with them unless they are heavily packed or may have gas exchange issues

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote yes even though I am a beginner in saltwater. I had been in freshwater for 30 years before starting a reef and I am amazed everyday to have a piece of equipment that can take the crap out of my water !

I wish I could have had such a thing for my freshwater tanks. Maybe in 10 years I’ll be blasé but for now I will remain amazed...

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads are very bad for our hobby!

While protein skimmers may not be an absolute necessary for a successful saltwater aquarium, most beginner & intermediate aquarists will need one to get started to understand the fundamentals of a successful reef.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Yes!
Couldn't put it better to a newbie myself!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.

I’ve run fish only and reef systems with and without skimmers for many years. Both ways have been successful.

Having said that, I wouldn’t set up another system without one. Once you see how much garbage a good skimmer pulls out, it’s hard to go back to not having one. But there are lots of different ways to be successful in this hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back