Are small tanks really harder to maintain?

Is it easier to run a nano reef.

• Yes

Votes: 57 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • Not exactly. (Explain)

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear all the time that small tanks are harder to maintain because of less water volume, any mess ups and your screwed. But with a large tank isn’t it harder to come back from a mess up because there’s soo much water. With a smaller tank you also don’t have to use as much of a product like for example to treat a 300 gallon reed for red cyano you have to use a whole box of chemi clean but for a 10 gallon it will last for a while. Also wouldn’t a water change be easier in a 10 gallon. What do you think? Is it easer or hard to run a nano tank?

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the whole, I think they are easier to maintain. The overall time it takes to clean, and do water changes on smaller systems is less then that of large tanks. The cost associated with maintenance is also lower. What most people refer to as "harder" is the fact that any swings happen way faster because you have less water volume as a buffer. If you make for example a big dosing mistake in 10 gallons it is alot more detrimental then it would be in 200 gallons

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my third tank starting with a 20gal AIO, then to a 60 cube then to a 120. I feel just as you mentioned the smaller tanks can go south quickly but smaller water changes(volumes) means you can adjust for errors a little easier. I also feel the bigger thanks seem to be more stable and self sustaining then smaller ones from my experience but interested to hear what others say.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the whole, I think they are easier to maintain. The overall time it takes to clean, and do water changes on smaller systems is less then that of large tanks. The cost associated with maintenance is also lower. What most people refer to as "harder" is the fact that any swings happen way faster because you have less water volume as a buffer. If you make for example a big dosing mistake in 10 gallons it is alot more detrimental then it would be in 200 gallons
Wouldn’t it be easier to fix the swing with just a water change? Not as much water to replace.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my third tank starting with a 20gal AIO, then to a 60 cube then to a 120. I feel just as you mentioned the smaller tanks can go south quickly but smaller water changes(volumes) means you can adjust for errors a little easier. I also feel the bigger thanks seem to be more stable and self sustaining then smaller ones from my experience but interested to hear what others say.
You would know the most because it seems like you have a variety of tanks. I have a 32 Biocube and I’m about to make a 10 gallon nano tank. So just trying to get as much knowledge before the build.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller tanks are easier to maintain bc well it's smaller BUT its less forgiving when it comes to tank husbandry due to less water volume. Meaning if u were to miss few tank husbandry work, the nano tank would suffer the consequence of neglect far quicker than a larger tank. For example, if u were to dose the same amount of PO4 into a nano tank vs 210gal tank, the PO4 would have far stronger impact in the nano tank vs 210 gal of water.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having less swings is better than having the ability to revert parameters to before the swing imo. After the swing has even happened, damage has already been done.
Wouldn’t daily testing be able to see a problem before it happens. Basically really good husbandry would make a nano tank just as easy?

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be easier to fix the swing with just a water change? Not as much water to replace.
Yes, but that is assuming you are notice right away what happened. If you dont notice for a couple of hours while you are at work or are sleeping it can be catastrophic depending on what you are keeping. All that being said, I have a 20gal AIO and love it because its easy to take care of!

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller tanks are easier to maintain bc well it's smaller BUT its less forgiving when it comes to tank husbandry due to less water volume. Meaning if u were to miss few tank husbandry work, the nano tank would suffer the consequence of neglect far quicker than a larger tank. For example, if u were to dose the same amount of PO4 into a nano tank vs 210gal tank, the PO4 would have far stronger impact in the nano tank vs 210 gal of water.
So just be careful of what you do to the tank. Like I understand a fish death going unnoticed in a 200 gallon wouldn’t be as bad as if it happened in a 10 or 5 gallon. Just keep an eye on the tank and it will be all good?

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that is assuming you are notice right away what happened. If you dont notice for a couple of hours while you are at work or are sleeping it can be catastrophic depending on what you are keeping. All that being said, I have a 20gal AIO and love it because its easy to take care of!
What’s your bio load like. How many fish do you have and what’s your CUC like.

Salt & Peper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything can go south fast as said above. But if you keep your stocking including coral to a minimum ( is hard to do in this hobby) the tank will take care of itself just like a large tank imo. Again imo nano tanks are superior to large tanks!

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything can go south fast as said above. But if you keep your stocking including coral to a minimum ( is hard to do in this hobby) the tank will take care of itself just like a large tank imo. Again imo nano tanks are superior to large tanks!
Wouldn’t the balance out eventually if you slowing add in a bunch of corals??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back