Are small tanks really harder to maintain?

Is it easier to run a nano reef.

• Yes

Votes: 57 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • Not exactly. (Explain)

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just be careful of what you do to the tank. Like I understand a fish death going unnoticed in a 200 gallon wouldn’t be as bad as if it happened in a 10 or 5 gallon. Just keep an eye on the tank and it will be all good?
yes, as long as ur very diligent about tank husbandry (unlike some of us here) and keep a balanced mature tank, then it's all good to go. Guess better way to describe it would be small tanks r "more difficult" since they have less room for error.

A good CUC will take care of livestock death, I don't worry when livestock die as my 93 cube has a very good CUC.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having run 10g to 300g, I can say in my experience nano is WAY easier, once you know what you are doing. It takes far less time to do everything. Sure, things can go out of balance quicker, but also can be fixed much quicker.

For example: if you have a GHA out break, or something else where you want to take out he rocks - nano is easy peasy. Try taking out scape in a 300. It's a 12-18hr job!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 Evo owner here and I haven't had any major issues but do practice good husbandry when it comes to cleaning filters and testing. From my experience, keeping my nano has been much easier than my 40B so far. That being said my urchin died about a month ago and had I not been at home and pulled it from my tank it would have crashed.

My only issue with small tanks is the potential for an ammonia crash, bad salt mix crash or something similar.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, as long as ur very diligent about tank husbandry (unlike some of us here) and keep a balanced mature tank, then it's all good to go. Guess better way to describe it would be small tanks r "more difficult" since they have less room for error.
Would you say it’s easier to cycle a nano tank. Would it happen faster because it’s smaller?
A good CUC will take care of livestock death, I don't worry when livestock die as my 93 cube has a very good CUC.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it would but that's atleast 200$ the Triton makes everything easier but thats like 700$
What? My ATO was $60 lol

if you know what you’re doing, a small tank is easier. If you don’t know what you’re doing, no tank is easy. except with a large tank you will spend more $

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank for reference:
Would you say a large CUC helps in a nano reef. A snail or hermit per gallon?
1580158532682.png

If you put in a large CUC you just have to make sure you have enough of a food source for then not to starve. I do have three hermits in and I wish I didnt add them honestly. They have killed some of my snails which is annoying.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 Evo owner here and I haven't had any major issues but do practice good husbandry when it comes to cleaning filters and testing. From my experience, keeping my nano has been much easier than my 40B so far. That being said my urchin died about a month ago and had I not been at home and pulled it from my tank it would have crashed.

My only issue with small tanks is the potential for an ammonia crash, bad salt mix crash or something similar.
Thanks for the advice. How many fish are in your 13.5? What’s your bio load like?

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1580158532682.png

If you put in a large CUC you just have to make sure you have enough of a food source for then not to starve. I do have three hermits in and I wish I didnt add them honestly. They have killed some of my snails which is annoying.
Hermits are good sifters and they mow down some algae but they do kill snails. A lot.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say a large CUC helps in a nano reef. A snail or hermit per gallon?
I keep red legged hermits (scarlet reef wont kill snails) for detritus, trochus for algae and nassarius for leftover food/dead livestock + serpent star (leftover food & dead livetock). I leave old snail shells in tank for hermits as they grow out of old shells.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back