Are there any reefers out there using the Theil Rollermat?

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing there has to be. I would like to implement one instead of dealing with those dang socks!

I'm going to have a custom sump built for using the Rollermat.

I'd like to get some opinions and feedback from members that are using this product and how it's working for you and your tank!

Thanks guy's & gals.

Craig...

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LobsterOfJustice how big is your tank and sump? Has the Rollermat made your protein skimmer more efficient? Has your water parameters as far as nutrient levels/removal improved?

What do you think of the quality of the Theil components/parts/motor, etc? Is it worth the cost or is it made cheaply? I read that the motor may be under powered and that the shaft is not stainless and begins to rust over time?

Craig...

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LobsterOfJustice how big is your tank and sump? Has the Rollermat made your protein skimmer more efficient? Has your water parameters as far as nutrient levels/removal improved?

What do you think of the quality of the Theil components/parts/motor, etc? Is it worth the cost or is it made cheaply? I read that the motor may be under powered and that the shaft is not stainless and begins to rust over time?

Craig...

Tank is 180g with 2x 40g breeders a sumps in the garage. I incorporated the rollermat when I first set up this tank (so I can't really compare to before the rollermat as that was a different setup in many ways), because my drains enter the garage at ground level and go directly into the side of the sump - so draining into filter socks was not an option for me. I can't say if it's made the skimmer more efficient - I'm not sure thats really the goal anyway. One of my drains goes to the sump with the rollermat and heaters, the other drain goes to the sump with the skimmer and some LR rubble. So the skimmer doesn't see water that is recently filtered by the rollermat anyway. It's basically the benefits of running filter socks, without the maintenance.

The housing is a little flimsy I guess, but overall I'm happy with it for what it cost. I've only been running it since the spring so I cant speak to longevity. As for as what is currently available in the US, there are not other competitors, so its not like there is some other product that performs the same function that you can compare to in terms of cost or build quality.

So far, I really like the unit and would buy it again. I've considered modifying my second sump to handle a second unit and that way I could feed a rollermat from both of my drains. It definitely catches some crud...

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lobster Of Justice!

Thank for replying, I've been working 14 and 15 hour days and haven't had any time for my reefing pursuits.

What I meant about the
Rollermat making your skimmer more proficient was is it removing the heavy debris before getting to your skimmer better than socks would, providing less gunk to deal with.

I am surprised that it is build rather cheaply like you mentioned, for 300 bucks it should be built like a tank!!

I bet you could build one yourself and just buy the paper media rolls. I need to check it out!

I'm also kinda surprised that you are the only member kind enough to reply and help give me some I sight to this product!

Surely there are more members using this out of 100's on this forum? I wish they would!

Thank you for doing so!!

Craig...

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two drains from my tank, one going to the skimmer and one going to the rollermat, so can't comment on skimmer improvement like you're taking about.

I wouldn't say it's built cheaply... just that it's not built like a tank. Like if you drop it, I would expect the housing to crack. If you punched it, it would break. Hope that makes sense. Given that once installed it just sits there and I don't touch it for months on end, it's not a big issue in my opinion.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I understand what your saying LOJ. My plan is to have it first in line in my sump then on to the skimmer like I saw on a BRS video only slightly better by having a custom sump built for it instead of on top of the sump and then plumbed in like Ryan did on their 160 gallon.

I'm still trying to work out a sump design with the Rollermat and maybe a refugium then skimmer, still much to learn!

Thanks again LOJ for the info!

Craig...

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Not sure what your timeline is but keep an eye out for the klir filter from coralvue I believe, they had it on display at MACNA. It will be another type of fleece roll filter. Right now the rollermat is the only option on the US market so obviously that's what I went with, but this new filter may offer some advantages. I do know the klir is size-adjustable but not sure if it offers any other benefits over the rollermat, or what the timeline is for commercial availability.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most assuredly will, that's good news that competition is coming around!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using one for a few months in a Elite Aquatics sump. My only issue is the rollermat needs close to 600 gph to properly keep detritus pressed against the paper and not settling on the bottom. Much easier than changing/cleaning filter socks. Also, I keep the "lid" off the rollermat. If I don't, the humidity soaks the roll of paper making it extremely heavy. I have not noticed any smell associated with the rollermat.

You can see more in my build thread...

img_4024-jpg.517409

img_4060-jpg.522429

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one, but was talking with a vendor at MACNA who had run one for quite a while. Apparently one drawback to the design is that the filter paper that collects on the "dirty" roller side can get quite heavy, especially since it stays kinda damp, and puts a fair amount of strain on the motor that drives the rollers. He said they had a motor failure after about a year (although it was relatively easy and cheap to replace) and suggested to periodically remove the accumulated dirty paper, so that the motor didn't have to move so much weight.

OP
OP
Craig Skinner

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Larry! That's good info for Me, I wonder if you could upgrade the stock motor with a heavier model and solve that problem?

Although for 300 bucks Theil should do this themselves at no additional cost to us consumers! IMO.

Craig...

Back