Are these black patches on my Royal Gramma a disease?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6:

I did a 100% water change. No more medication in the water.

He's swimming about much more but still not to his pre-illness levels. He also tires easily.
My major concern right now is that he's still not eating... It's been a week since he has. If he doesn't start eating soon I'm worried he'll starve.

Well, fingers crossed! The metronidazole in the water is really the only way to treat internal protozoans on a fish that isn't eating. Worm parasites typically don't cause a fish to stop eating. Bacterial enteritis and coccidia are also possibilities, but the latter can't really be treated. for.

Jay

OP
OP
jbholasingh

jbholasingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7:

I've moved him to a quarantine box in the main display tank. QT system is still running incase I need to move him back.

He seems to be swimming fine. I'm leaving him in the display in the box for tonight. Tomorrow I'll let him out and see if he eats in the more familiar environment. His color has also improved.

OP
OP
jbholasingh

jbholasingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning points:

1) Don't wait, medicate- Even if there is no clear diagnosis, broad spectrum medications may clear up the problem. Don't wait for a clear diagnosis to start medication.

2) Poor color is a prelude to disease- Poor color (hyperpigmentation) can be due to stress. Stress may either be the cause or as a result of disease. Be on the ready to treat a fish who appears stressed should they develop further symptoms.

3) A hiding fish is a bad sign- If a fish that is normally out and about hides for more than a day, pick up a turkey baster and blast it out of the rocks. Fish will often hide when they are sick and it's best to put them in a quarantine system where they can be closely monitored rather than in some dark recess of the display tank.

4) No magic bullets- There are many fish diseases, and many medications. If one medication does not work (e.g. anti-parasitic) consider a different class of medication (e.g. antibacterial). Eventually something must work, but don't keep using a medicine that isn't helping.

5) No place like home- Sometimes a fish may not exhibit normal behavior /eat even if it fully recovered while it is in an unfamiliar Quarantine system. Sometimes it's they just need to be put back into their original home before they will accept food/ swim around freely.

6) Have a plan- Even if it's just a plastic box with an air stone system, have a Quarantine system planned and ready for the day a fish gets sick. Plastic storage crates come in a variety of sizes and can be easily stored away or used to hold random fish things until the day they are needed. Preferably something transparent to make observation easier. Have bio media in the sump that is mature so you don't have a worry about cycling a new system, just add the mature bimedia and you can add fish.

If anyone would like to expand on these points feel free to do so.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back