Are these chips concerning?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this tank for a pretty good price but didn’t realize it had these chips. To me, they don’t look super concerning because there are no actual cracks but wanted to get others thoughts.

952DA825-32E3-421E-91DB-D44D687EDEAD.jpeg
105CFE31-9EB7-4514-B49A-D5D3D769DBB4.jpeg

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if these would represent a weak point that could create problems...though I would certainly sleep better without them : ) One of them is huge, and I would be more worried about how it happened - i.e. if the tank was dropped, which might have compromised it in other ways. Admittedly, I'm an overly cautious fellow when it comes to water damage...

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea if these would represent a weak point that could create problems...though I would certainly sleep better without them : ) One of them is huge, and I would be more worried about how it happened - i.e. if the tank was dropped, which might have compromised it in other ways. Admittedly, I'm an overly cautious fellow when it comes to water damage...
So the larger on likely won’t have much stress on it since it is only holding water from the filtration chamber. I can’t speak to how it happened but I know the precious owner had it running for 6 months. He also bought it second hand

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no way. I had a (rimless) tank with a chip in the seam, it was fine for months, then one day just noticed it was slowly leaking. The chips in yours are way worse than what mine was. Those rimless tanks are super fragile, once they get knocked they're done.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back