Are these corals ok?

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 6 gallon tank with 2 clownfish and yesterday, my coral arrived. My tank has been up for almost exactly a year and 3 months.
Yesterday, I got 2 star polyp frags and 1 mushroom. I drip acclimated them to the tank and had the light off for 10 hours (overnight) and this morning, I turned the light on.
I came back from work an hour ago and found the tank covered in algae. I have algae issue but its never been so sudden for algae to grow. The corals also seem to be covered in algae and I'm worried if the polyps are not going to open up of the corals are going to die because of the algae. My light is a cheap $60 light with 3 660nm red led chips, a lot of blue 450 nm chips and a lot of white 9300k chips. 36 chips in total which creates 368 lm of light.

Some photos:

IMG_5202.JPG

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5204.JPG

One star polyp

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another star polyp
IMG_5205.JPG

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5206.JPG

A mushroom coral

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what’s your nitrate and phosphate level? And test kits? Your better of posting all your tank parameters it will help. Alk calcium magnesium nitrate phosphate. Looks like Dino’s to me, do you have a cheap microscope?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably still alive but very stressed . Your tank and lighting don’t look or sound suitable for coral . Also you don’t have any live rock ?

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what’s your nitrate and phosphate level? And test kits? Your better of posting all your tank parameters it will help. Alk calcium magnesium nitrate phosphate. Looks like Dino’s to me, do you have a cheap microscope?
I do have an electronic microscope. What is dinos?

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably still alive but very stressed . Your tank and lighting don’t look or sound suitable for coral . Also you don’t have any live rock ?
Reviews of the light said that it grows soft coral well. Btw. I ran out of test kits recently. I ordered them on a website but they are really slow at shipping and sending them to me. Will probably arrive this week. I don't dose anything except for live bacteria once 3 weeks. I forgot to get some live rock when I ordered the corals. It used to be a clownfish only tank with a turbo snail but recently I got a light suitable for corals ( i think) and just got corals recently. Is there anything I can do while waiting for the stuff to come. I am going to order some live rock this week.

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I currently ran out of testing stuff. Its probably going to come soon

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an electronic microscope. What is dinos?
Dinoflagellates is a problematic algae which can be very hard to eradicate. Can you take a picture of the algae through the microscope and post, the image will help decide the next step.

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates is a problematic algae which can be very hard to eradicate. Can you take a picture of the algae through the microscope and post, the image will help decide the next step.
Ok. I will work on that now. Give me 10 min

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I currently ran out of testing stuff. Its probably going to come soon
Large water changes can help with major elements alk cal mag but without knowing what your nitrate or phosphates are that could be more harm then good. Do you use and media for nitrate or phosphate removal like gfo?

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use zeolite and carbon. I do water changes quite often. Recently, I've been doing it once every 4-6 days.
SUNP0020.JPG

I got it:

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats looks quite green but in the tank, there are discustingly brown looking ones too. The algae growth is insane. The next day after cleaning everything and getting rid of all the algae, it grows back.

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I am thinking about ordering hermit crabs and snails to help. Do you think it will?

OP
OP
RC51

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large water changes can help with major elements alk cal mag but without knowing what your nitrate or phosphates are that could be more harm then good. Do you use and media for nitrate or phosphate removal like gfo?
So is it dino?

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recently did you change the lighting? Did the outbreak coincide with the new light?

Back