Are these corals ok?

clownfish81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 6 gallon tank with 2 clownfish and yesterday, my coral arrived. My tank has been up for almost exactly a year and 3 months.
Yesterday, I got 2 star polyp frags and 1 mushroom. I drip acclimated them to the tank and had the light off for 10 hours (overnight) and this morning, I turned the light on.
I came back from work an hour ago and found the tank covered in algae. I have algae issue but its never been so sudden for algae to grow. The corals also seem to be covered in algae and I'm worried if the polyps are not going to open up of the corals are going to die because of the algae. My light is a cheap $60 light with 3 660nm red led chips, a lot of blue 450 nm chips and a lot of white 9300k chips. 36 chips in total which creates 368 lm of light.

Some photos:

IMG_5202.JPG

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
C

clownfish81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They are probably still alive but very stressed . Your tank and lighting don’t look or sound suitable for coral . Also you don’t have any live rock ?
Reviews of the light said that it grows soft coral well. Btw. I ran out of test kits recently. I ordered them on a website but they are really slow at shipping and sending them to me. Will probably arrive this week. I don't dose anything except for live bacteria once 3 weeks. I forgot to get some live rock when I ordered the corals. It used to be a clownfish only tank with a turbo snail but recently I got a light suitable for corals ( i think) and just got corals recently. Is there anything I can do while waiting for the stuff to come. I am going to order some live rock this week.

OP
C

clownfish81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, what’s your nitrate and phosphate level? And test kits? Your better of posting all your tank parameters it will help. Alk calcium magnesium nitrate phosphate. Looks like Dino’s to me, do you have a cheap microscope?
Sorry I currently ran out of testing stuff. Its probably going to come soon

Top Shelf Aquatics

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry I currently ran out of testing stuff. Its probably going to come soon
Large water changes can help with major elements alk cal mag but without knowing what your nitrate or phosphates are that could be more harm then good. Do you use and media for nitrate or phosphate removal like gfo?

OP
C

clownfish81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thats looks quite green but in the tank, there are discustingly brown looking ones too. The algae growth is insane. The next day after cleaning everything and getting rid of all the algae, it grows back.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
First Choice
Ultimate Corals