OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash. Dead SPS is dead. If you have any living tissue left, you could try fragging it.

SPS need good water conditions, balanced alk, cal, and mag... and strong lighting. And stability.
I'm concerned with your lighting... you said it was low intensity and now you lowered it further.
That's fine for now until you get the algae under control, but I wouldn't expect to be able to grow sps until you supply adequate lighting.
PAR would help if you could find a par meter to borrow, but otherwise look for someone with the same lights and find out how high they are over the water and what intensity they are set at.

light is a reef breeders photon v2, im running the coral labs ab+ schedule tank is 48x24x12 about 12-14 inches above water line

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody’s perfect not even myself . I noticed two things . The debris settled on the frag shelf’s tells me poor flow . It shouldn’t have settled down with strong flow . Second all the dead corals should be removed, because dead stuff rotting fauls the water quality. Time to clean tank and water change, and keep reading. Good luck

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really get myself Hanna checks to see the exact numbers on my tank

60G system with 10 fish

I feed Hikari pellets once a day, reef roids once a week

I haven’t made any changes

Should I cut back on lighting? Reduce feedings? And continue with gfo and water changes?
RedSea make excellent no3 & po4 test kits. Hi & low range reading.
You really need to get some precise measurements for those two.

What type of fish?
Start using frozen food, at least 50/50

There appears to be a lot of detritus in your display. Suck it all out & start using mechanical filtration. Clean out your sump. Have plenty of freshly made water ready to use when removing detritus- big water change.

Have you serviced your skimmer at all? Is its gunk removal the same as previously? Try using a high quality GAC as well.

Daily light duration 10 to 12 hours - including ramp up & down. Don't lower intensity, its sounds like it's too low already? if you have coral still alive?
:)

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody’s perfect not even myself . I noticed two things . The debris settled on the frag shelf’s tells me poor flow . It shouldn’t have settled down with strong flow . Second all the dead corals should be removed, because dead stuff rotting fauls the water quality. Time to clean tank and water change, and keep reading. Good luck

I will increase the flow, yea I will go ahead and remove the dead corals :-( hopefully some can rebound

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea make excellent no3 & po4 test kits. Hi & low range reading.
You really need to get some precise measurements for those two.

What type of fish?
Start using frozen food, at least 50/50

There appears to be a lot of detritus in your display. Suck it all out & start using mechanical filtration. Clean out your sump. Have plenty of freshly made water ready to use when removing detritus- big water change.

Have you serviced your skimmer at all? Is its gunk removal the same as previously? Try using a high quality GAC as well.

Daily light duration 10 to 12 hours - including ramp up & down. Don't lower intensity, its sounds like it's too low already? if you have coral still alive?
:)

I just have the basic fish, clowns, wrasse, yellow tang, damsels, some chromis. I don’t have a cuc I will have to invest in some snails.

Skimmer is serviced and pulling stuff out, I will throw some gac in a bag and place into sump.

I reduced my lighting intensity and will have to still fine tweak it keep it 8-10 hours photo period

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got a thick layer of debris on the bottom and frag racks. My first sight was that.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to add is after removing anything dead you should use a power head to stir up the muck as to sifon out a lot of muck . And when sucking off rockwork of slim and alge use a small diameter hose so you don’t empty the tank trying to clean it . I don’t know if you are skimming, if not it’s a good time to start .

sharktopus_prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice above. One thing I would add is to hold a filter sock in front of a power head on full blast to pull the detritus that was stirred up out of the water. Trying to get it all out via a syphon isn't as effective because you can't get it all before you fill your bucket and run out of refill water.

I helped my wife clean a MONSTROUS amount of detritus from her tank this way. As suggested, stirring up the detritus with power heads intentionally works great. You may also want to detox with Prime or something when you do this because of all of the crud that gets stirred up may release toxins quickly. You can test to know for sure.

Another thing that helps is to do a water change by setting your skimmer a bit more aggressively (wet skim) to drain into a bucket and replace the nasty water that was skimmed. You can add fresh salt water to the sump to stir up crud that is hard to loosen up and let the skimmer help get it. Also, debris will try and make it into display tank while doing this, so I used a filter sock over the returns to catch it.

The result for me was pristine water when I was done and almost nothing left to stir up anywhere and clean. It was MUCH more effective than a water change, but it was very time consuming (1.5 hours or so).

I really hope your reef comes out ok. Good luck.

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the guys mentioned, reduce lighting, water change, and try to get updated test knits that are more accurate. Blowing the rocks would be a good start

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me you reef breeders setting. I can help with that. When you say low what are they set at? I would shorten the photo period for sure. Everyone else has a good handle on fixing the tank. post some pics with the daylights on

Just max that flow out, you cant overdo it

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna remove all corals that are healthy and most of the rocks and convert entire system to a frag system. I’m fed up and will be starting a new system with what ever rock is left over.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, that's not too high. You could go down just a little but I don't see the need

Tank is 48x24x12 and the photon v2 sits 12-14 inches above the water line. 8am to midnight is my photo period

I’m thinking this algae issues was caused by too long of a photo period and poor maintainable

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back