View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F5A60EBB-0E1F-438A-A23F-943CB8FB0931.jpeg
205ECBEA-93BC-41B0-AF9D-DA78B354171B.jpeg
2F73588C-AA51-4124-ACD0-3E453A462DF7.jpeg
523ED464-94C6-4E8B-87F1-95FFEA30F00B.jpeg

I’ve never seen this before. Anything to get rid of them all? I’m looking all around now and they are everywhere.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to tell from your photos, but possibly red bugs. Take a look at my macro video of red bugs to get a better view of what they look like:

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna go with red bugs.

I'll try the interceptor treatment, but I only have the green label chewable type for my dog. Has anyone used chewables instead of tablets? The concentration of Milbemycin Oxime is 5.65 mg. I'm going call the vet and see if I can get tablets, but should I try for different concentration to work with. Its a 100 gallon system i'd like to treat for 3 treatments worth.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A little heavy blue in pictures but appears to be.
Dipping in corakRX should knock them down but interceptor pill from a veterinarian Will for sure but careful on application of inrerceptor.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had red bugs so I can’t confirm or advise on what to do. Sorry I can’t be more help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red bugs to me. Don't be afraid to use interceptor. I happen to use it every year as a feel good thing. Definitely something you need to do!
Whats the concentration you use and how much do you dose of it? Ever use the chewable tablets instead of the pill form? My vet only carries chewable, but as long as I sign a waiver they'll give me a sample of whatever I want, so I figure the big dog one with 23 mg of Milbemycin Oxime.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
research first ,careful not to over dose ,know that is cure ,just be careful ;)

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bugs (Tegastes acroporanus) are small flea-like beasts that can infest smooth-skinned acropora sp. Some reefers have gone out of their way to eliminate them from their reef tank. I've seen them in my tank on occasion, but never worried much about them.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bugs (Tegastes acroporanus) are small flea-like beasts that can infest smooth-skinned acropora sp. Some reefers have gone out of their way to eliminate them from their reef tank. I've seen them in my tank on occasion, but never worried much about them.
They've taken over my red dragon, which is a perfect smooth-skinned acro. I first noticed color loss and then took a closer look and saw this bugs all over it. It's moved on to other acros and even taken out tissue of the last picture I posted of a green unknown acro. I need to wipe out the whole tank.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
asap,but find detailed instructions,google ,will most likely bring you back here w a thread or two ;)

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the directions to follow: https://www.melevsreef.com/articles...croporanus) are,never worried much about them.

Make sure to measure out interceptor with a digital scale; mix in warm R/O water to dissolve, and I would recommend two treatments minimum spaced one week apart.

I had these last summer and wiped them out with Interceptor; make sure to remove any hermit crabs from tank as they will not tolerate med well. You will also lose a large amount of pods but if your tank is healthy they should recover quickly.

The treatment is extremely mild and does not really cause much distress in the tank save for inverts. Good luck.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the directions to follow: https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/red-bugs-no-more#:~:text=Red bugs (Tegastes acroporanus) are,never worried much about them.

Make sure to measure out interceptor with a digital scale; mix in warm R/O water to dissolve, and I would recommend two treatments minimum spaced one week apart.

I had these last summer and wiped them out with Interceptor; make sure to remove any hermit crabs from tank as they will not tolerate med well. You will also lose a large amount of pods but if your tank is healthy they should recover quickly.

The treatment is extremely mild and does not really cause much distress in the tank save for inverts. Good luck.
Thank you for the information. I just hope I can dissolve the chewable interceptor tablet enough.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Whats the concentration you use and how much do you dose of it? Ever use the chewable tablets instead of the pill form? My vet only carries chewable, but as long as I sign a waiver they'll give me a sample of whatever I want, so I figure the big dog one with 23 mg of Milbemycin Oxime.
I do 1 full chew everytime on a 190 gallon system. I dont think you can over do it. And yes I used both

pencie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a predator first. Six line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, dragon pipe fish. The key is getting a fresh one from the lfs where it was recently cought in the wild. I would try that before any chemical.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a predator first. Six line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, dragon pipe fish. The key is getting a fresh one from the lfs where it was recently cought in the wild. I would try that before any chemical.
I'd like to, but this is in a 45 gallon shallow with also a 25 gallon lagoon style tank. I don't have much room for more fish. Also the last six line wrasse I had murdered every fish in the tank after about 3 years of no problems. Never again I said.

Back