Are these safe?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please apologize if you have seen a few posts by me with the same questions lol.

Are these safe? I was going to order some new sand by its been delayed and I will be back to work on Monday, so I was thinking using a magnet go through the sand and use it for my new set up. However, there’s no way I can pull out everything. I have heard that there are natural magnetic sand like the black sand or ore. I am just afraid that some are metal rust from the previous owner(s).

now, will I be running into same issue with the new sand with the possibility of rust or metal debris?

since my tank is filed with saltwater and the rockscape is somewhat done, can I cycle the tank with the rocks then add sand let say a week later? If so, would it be live or dry sand is good

thanks

86C1E7CD-3063-4544-9DC4-F00BE0306A51.jpeg CEAD045F-4BD7-4E86-BA9F-78256452BB59.jpeg C11B469D-8E37-476A-9088-E40E6A32C789.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding it later is easy. Rinse the sand until you are happy with the clarity. Then using a piece of pvc pipe 2-3" in diameter that's long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. Use a funnel on top of the pipe to pour the wet sand down the pipe directly to the bottom. Less mess and lots of control of where the sand is going.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could wrap a small pc of thin cloth around one side of your glass/acrylic scraper magnet, tie it with string & use that to drop it to the bottom of the tank to get as much metal as possible at one tine & then remove the cloth & shake off it off outside or in the trash.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could wrap a small pc of thin cloth around one side of your glass/acrylic scraper magnet, tie it with string & use that to drop it to the bottom of the tank to get as much metal as possible at one tine & then remove the cloth & shake off it off outside or in the trash.
Why risk having any metals in the tank. Scrap the sand and get new sand. Not worth the risk in the long run. New sand isnt expensive anyways. If something should go wrong with the tank later cuz of the old sand, the money lost, waste, the time, stress, etc isnt worth it.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why risk having any metals in the tank. Scrap the sand and get new sand. Not worth the risk in the long run. New sand isnt expensive anyways. If something should go wrong with the tank later cuz of the old sand, the money lost, waste, the time, stress, etc isnt worth it.
I realize that & it looks like that is what he's planning but he also mentioned using a magnet because the sand was delayed getting to him so I offered a way to use the magnet with have to have his arm in the tank. I had the same metal problem with the Black Hawaiian sand & switched to white because I wanted Jawfish & Gobies as well & the HB sand is also to coarse for them to make their homes.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like, I do have fine sand & then 2-3 bags of the crushed coral 2.5-5.5mm I believe was the size.
Cool. And these looks good too. I’ve heard special grade is good for gobies but not to fine that blows around.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back