Are these seams ok?

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my very first fish tank. I bought it used and it was holding water and cycling, just really dirty and lots of algae. So, my question is, do I need to redo the interior silicone on this tank? Or, is it fine and it will clear up with use (I don't know how that would happen, but figured I'd ask.)?

20210720_164023.jpg 20210720_160219.jpg

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae will probably decay or get eaten up in your tank by snails,ect. I say fill it for a day and see if it leaks. If the silicone is cracked and doesn't leak, I would definitely reseal it. You could scrub the algae off of the seams but gently as to not rip them off or damage them. If it was wet or not, use some hydrogen peroxide to kill the algae and help remove it.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Me too! Lol.

I plugged in the pumps to move the water around and the first one shocked me, and the second one didn't work... looks like I'll be getting those GyreFlow 4K's after all.
Yeah a pump that shocks, not good! I can't say to even use it for mixing saltwater because it may create hydrogen, raising your pH, contaminating your water, and just no, not safe. Not to mention flammable/explosive gas buildup in an enclosed container or in your home which could be ignited from a decent spark from the pump!

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a pump that shocks, not good! I can't say to even use it for mixing saltwater because it may create hydrogen, raising your pH, contaminating your water, and just no, not safe. Not to mention flammable/explosive gas buildup in an enclosed container or in your home which could be ignited from a decent spark from the pump!
Definitely. They already went in the garbage. I need to pick up a couple of power heads and a pump for my sump tank/s now.

On the good news side, I didn't notice any leaks from my tank this morning. I'm going to let it sit full, until I finish painting the stand, etc. Then I'll drain it before I move it to my living room.

Thanks again!

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. They already went in the garbage. I need to pick up a couple of power heads and a pump for my sump tank/s now.

On the good news side, I didn't notice any leaks from my tank this morning. I'm going to let it sit full, until I finish painting the stand, etc. Then I'll drain it before I move it to my living room.

Thanks again!
No problem, glad to help!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back